Is this normal for a toddler?

My 3-year-old doesn't like kiddy games and toys. He's very smart for his age; he talks like he's much older. His pronunciation and vocabulary are same as my 5,5-year-old daughter's. Plus, he recognizes letters, sound of letters, colors, numbers, can count to 100, stays inside the lines when coloring etc. The problem is, he doesn't like playing with toys. He likes reading his little books, writing his letters and numbers, his name etc, and maybe doing puzzles sometimes. Should I be worried? I mean, he's a child, he should enjoy playing. I'm really happy he's smart, but shouldn't his main concern be toys?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:34 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don;t stress mom, you have a toddler nerd LOL, my little brother was the same, now is a doctor, get him some toys that challenge him, microscope, toy piano, jenga, he is advanced be grateful!! Call me when he gets into Yale!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:36 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• find him some engaging toys...more puzzles (mind puzzles) maybe a little chemistry set that you can play with him...they have simpler ones for smaller kids.

I don't think its anything to worry about he just wants more engaging activities...go online and look for educational toys.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• kimigogo haha! Yeah, I know already he'll get picked on in junior high... Geekburger, like I used to call my classmate lol. Ok, when he gets into Yale I'll tell him you're the only one who always believed in him!! haha
    Anonymous

• He sounds like my almost 4 year old. He's been writing his letters and sounding out words since he was 2 1/2. Find his interests and get toys to go along with those interests. He LOVES puzzles of all kinds and preschool workbooks (although, he's actually working in ones for 1st grade now) He's been evaluated, but basically because he CAN do pretend play, he was found to not be on the Autism spectrum. He does, however, have global low motor tone, so he gets tired easy with some types of play....so he avoids those kids of play for the most part. (OT and PT are doing WONDERS for him)

My oldest is also somewhat of a "geek". He's extremely interested in science...his books are about science and his toys....mostly robots. LOL He loves working with tinker toys, legos and shape blocks/wooden pieces. He creates all kinds of contraptions (as he calls them).
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:36 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• it sounds like you are picking toys based on his age instead of his interests. why don't you sit down and think about what he likes (what interests him) and then think of a toy that would involve that.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Why do you think his main concern should be toys? Toys are irrelevant. "Play" -- which is developmentally necessary, and "toys" -- which are consumer products -- are two very different things. He's learning from all his reading and puzzles, etc. Is he asking questions about the books? Does he engage with you in discussion while you're in the car, etc, does he demonstrate curiosity about the world? I'm sure he does. If he's not engaging at all in what they call "pretend play" or make-believe (making up his own stories about things, doing voices, etc), you may want to mention it to his doctor but I really wouldn't be concerned in the least. But my daughter is 2 1/2 and she hardly plays with any of her toys. She does things like pick up a grocery receipt, lay it on the table, and then puts her lovie on it and gives it a check-up (this after going along to her sister's well child visit) or has "picnics" with her "cookies" (blocks
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2009