Nakedness between mother and daughter, does it really matter?

Is there really an age when it should stop? As long as the kids not uncomfortable should it matter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• No, I think it's normal. My mom and I never stopped it.
    Anonymous

• My Mom never stopped either. I never cared about being naked in front of my mom or sister.
    Anonymous

• When my dd started noticing, that's when I stopped the showers together and the bath's. It not that there's a differance but it's not the time to tell them WHY we are different. Besides the "when you get older" bit. Not that my dd was uncomfortable, but I was! I didn't like the way she was looking so that was that. She needs to wait till I am done to take her own shower. I don't want her shaving her legs cause mommy does, or cleaning her other body parts the way mommy does, not when she really looking and paying attention in that way. Not at a young age. My dd is 7 and I stopped showering with her last year.
    Anonymous

• I think it is fine as well. Just make sure you are aware if your daughter does become uncomfortable. Around the age of 10 I stopped letting my mom come in dressing rooms and such with me. I was just very modest and didn't want to change in front of anyone or see anyone. I was one of those girls who changed in the bathroom stalls for gym class. My mom was very aware of this and very respectful of this as well. Now, being 30, I am over it and will change in the same dressing room with my mother :-)
    Anonymous

• No, there is no age. and it is perfectly normal
    Anonymous

• anyone who is uncomfortable with their own children seeing them nude, has something to hide. those are the types of people i am leery of... it is perfectly normal. anyone who says different has an agenda...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I've never done co-showering, but I would stop when the child is a toddler. That's when they start getting curious and I would get uncomfortable with my child looking at my body. Even if it's innocent, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. I haven't done it, as I said, but that's my personal opinion on it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:28 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I think it is normal My mother did it and so have I and my kids dont mind it plus it can help potty train your kid if they see you use the bathroom and then they know what to do
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with someone who doesn't want their child to see them naked. Being leery of them is just strange. I am modest and don't like anyone seeing me naked. With that being said my own mother watched me give birth and has seen me naked as an adult. I have a boy so at 4 it doesn't bug me much if he walks in which he does often but if he saw me around puberty time it might weird me out. I think it is different with opposite sex though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I have seen my mom, my sister, and my grandma naked. . . . along with a few female cousins and their mom (my aunt). We have all done some combination of: changed in rooms together, taken baths/showers together, changed in a locker room together, tried on clothes together. . . . I went through a period of intense modesty at the start of puberty, and they all respected that, but by high school I was feeling more comfortable with my new body and things went back to "normal'. I have also changed with female friends, and my best friend was in the delivery room when I had my first baby (as was DH). It may not sound like it, but I am a modest person. I just don't see a problem with same-sex close friends and family sharing a space while getting dressed.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:12 AM on Nov. 28, 2009