New big puppy problems =(

So I got too nice and got hubby a big puppy a few wks ago. He loves her but (just my luck) he doesn't have time for her. The dog is about thigh high and very strong. She's 1yr and very hyper. I don't mind it but I need some control! I'm short, thin, and weak. My DD is a little toddler. So the big strong dog is kicking our butts. She gets over excited when we get home, jumps on us, scratches, knocks down DD, and licks her crazy during her naps. I'm a SAHM and no one watches DD so I have to take her w/ me on dog walks (dog's only out time since we don't have a yard). It's so hard with DD walking slow or on my hip while the dog drags me cause she saw a squirrel. My hands have blisters. She recently got in the habit of coming in after a long walk to poop on the carpet. So how can I teach her to express joy w/o hurting me or DD? How can I make walks more manageable and safe? How do I reteach her to poo outside?

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 9:55 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Pets

• BTW I don't know how to whistle and training classes are out of financial reach right now =(
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:56 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• for you... bring your knee up into her chest when she jumps up...it won't really hurt her just makes her realize its a no. And tell her no. Buy a special collar...its like a pinch collar to keep her from pulling..she will get the idea and stop.
    be firm and authorative...make her see you as the alfa dog. (try and find some Dog whisperer episodes he was great at this)

Try walking with your daughter in a stroller...dog on the pinch collar (not connected to stroller) and see how that goes...as the dog gets better you will be able to WALK with you daughter walking as well.

just keep getting after her for knocking the toddler down...teach your daughter to tell her NO! as well.

Good luck!!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• they have this thing called a clicker also it is blue and orange and at walmart in the pet isle, and i use that on my dog my dog is also very big he is 5 months old and 67 pounds, and we use that and we keep him outside because he was using the bathroom in the house. or you can try the crate traning wich u put him in the crate everytime he uses the bathroom in the house, eaither way
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• also never ever use the water spray in the face that does not work and makes them aggressive ok. and also, dogs 101 on animal planet is a great show also to watch and pet co has a traning class that i just learned about it is 78 dollars and you go and they train you and your dog how to do all the things that comes with a dog tricks, not to jump to walk them with out the dog walking you, and i dont have the money eaither but it needs to be done and alot cheaiper then most places good luck
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I have a Saint Bernard puppy and she is 7 months old. I hope I can help you. I would buy a kennel first off. If your not watching her she will continue to lick your dd while she naps. Use the kennel as a place for her to sleep and while your not watching her. Ask her if she needs to go potty. First off find a place for her to potty every time to poo. While walking her tell her to potty and call her by her name. Now if she is looking around tell to POTTY and say good girl when she does. I have a picture of my big baby girl on my pg. It takes time to train a new member to the family. Tell her down when she is ruff and keep her nails trimmed at all times. It's a pain , but she is clueless on her new place. I hope this will help you out. Best of Luck!
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• for the walking issues, I have a big lab and she used to pull on the leash until I got her a collar the goes around the neck and then wraps up over the nose. I can't remember what they call it but they sell them everywhere. It makes it so when the dog pulls on the lead it forces it's nose down and my dog just hates it but it works wonders and it doesn't hurt them at all.
    natvitty

Answer by natvitty at 11:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Get the dog a Gentle leader. They look like halters on a horse and work very well. It will teach teh dog how to walk nicely on a leash while keeping your arm in the socket. It does take them some time to get used to it but the more it is used the better the dog will be. The more the dog fights it the more it needs it because it also tell the dog who the boss is. DO not get a halti They look simalar but are not. If the dog gets the nose piece off with the Haltie th whole thing will come off but if they should get the gentle leader off the nose it is still firmly around the neck.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:49 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Will I have to use these special collars and such for long? Or will she learn to walk without them? I'd hate to make her walks uncomfortable and I'm assuming that's how those work.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:35 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• harnesses are not uncomfortable for the dog. My dog likes it better. The weight is pulled on her body and not her neck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• For walking a large dog that pulls get a Gentle Leader, do not get a substitute. It is not uncomfortable, the dog just has to get used to it and it eliminates pulling since you direct the head. You can feel confident that your dog will not pull you over when you are holding your baby. It is way more effective than a pinch collar or a harness.

Make sure your dog gets walked several times a day in order to run off that energy. Also, when your daughter is napping work on obedience. Praise calm behavior and ignore hyperactivity - you may have to separate the dog from the family if she gets to excited and let her come back when she is calm. Animal Planet has a great show called "It's Me or the Dog", watch it. The trainer deals with all kinds of issues and she has very humane training methods that are easy to follow.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 3:26 AM on Nov. 28, 2009