Could I try again or is it too late?

I was pumping, (onlyfor 2 weeks) and i quit cause it was too demanding and i dont get much help from dh so it was hard for me to deal with all the stress. I have not pumped in 3 days, i feel so bad part of me wishes i didnt stop andpart of me thinks it is for the best.

Lets say i decide to start again tomorrow, can I? Or is my milk supply gone by now? I know i would ahve to do it very frequently if it is possible to start back...Also if it is possible would I never gain back the milk supply I had before I stopped. Because I had a great supply. Thanks....Encouragement would be great also.

I have tried breastfeeding ds but he is way to fussy and i get so frustrated with it. I was trying to do that but I feel it was no longer possible.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had to stop breast feeding myself, my kid just didnt want to take to it. You can start back. Its still in there. If you dont start pumping your breast will get all engorged with milk and it hurts so bad. Thats what happened to me. They used to give out pills that would dry up your breast milk but they dont do that anymore.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I already went thru the engorgment phase, thats why I am wondering if its gone. I am just not sure if I want to try again. I am just getting some advice first.
    Anonymous

• I'm pretty sure that it can be done, but I think it's going to take some major dedication on your part. You should contact your local La Leche League. They should be able to help you and give you loads of support.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• no harm in trying. if it's dry then it's dry. don't beat yourself up over it. you're doing great :)
    Domsmom2009

Answer by Domsmom2009 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• it can be done. There is a pumping moms group here at cafe mom. It takes longer than a few days to dry up.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:40 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Call the hospital or your OB/GYN and see if they can connect you with a lactation consultant. They are very helpful and can tell you what you need to do to re-lactate. I've heard of it working in the past. Or you can contact La Leche League. They'll be able to help you. If it can be done these are the best resources at your disposal.

Here is a link for La Leche League
    http://www.llli.org/
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• a few days should be okay, you just need to start again right now! it is actually possible to restart your milk after a couple of months, but it's extremely hard, it will be a lot easier if it's only a few days. you should probably buy a bunch of fenugreek and goat's rue and look up any info you can find on relactation. most of the people looking at relactation have stopped for longer periods of time, but you can get a lot of information that way. good luck!! you can do it! and i definitely recommend it! i stopped earlier than i wanted to due to stress (from other issues, not baby) and i wish i had been able to get my milk back! you CAN do it! CAN CAN CAN! don't let anyone tell you otherwise and find a lactation consultant you can call if you get desperate for answers.
    SavvyMomma1809

Answer by SavvyMomma1809 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Yes you still can! I stopped for almost 2 weeks and slowly was able to build my supply back up by constantly nursing. It nursed until 4 months and then really just couldn't handle it but I had twins and it wasnt working for me. I wish I wouldnt have stopped either time, but my supply was enough after starting back up again.
    Anonymous

• start pumping right away , the sooner , the better , relax and contact la leche league .they can also help you and theres a breastfeeding group here at cafemom that yu can join !

good luck !
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Yes, and the sooner the better. And once you get your supply up, you might want to try nursing again. Some babies that have problems with it very young, do better in a few days or weeks. Up to you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:30 AM on Nov. 28, 2009