Would you buy something for another child that you wouldnt buy for your own even if it was suggested by the parent of the other child?

My DH's brother is 10. He LOVES wrestling. I don't agree with children watching that, not only because of the violence, but because its sooooo incredibly sexual. This kid could care less about school or anything else. His parents let his life revolve around wrestling... Which is none of my business! I could care less how they raise him, but they suggested I buy him a wrestling action figure for xmas. I didnt want to from the beginning but I looked today and there were half naked women with their boobs hanging out and things like "suck it" written on the packages... It's not something my son will be allowed to watch or see.. I can't buy a child that even if their parents are okay with it... What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Perhaps there are men wrestling figures that aren't so sexually provocative? I certainly wouldn't buy a mostly naked woman figure. Maybe I'd ask the mom for another suggestion.

Answer by Bmat at 10:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My rule is if I wouldn't buy it for my kid, I won't buy it for someone else's. Period. Whether they suggest it, ask for it, or order me to buy it, if I wouldn't get it for mine, I won't get it for theirs. How can I explain to my child why I won't get it for them, but I will for this other kid? Not to mention, most of the time, when I won't buy it for mine, it's b/c I feel it isn't safe, or I have some type of objection to it (like yours, with the half naked women and objectionable phrases). Why would I put someone else's child in danger, or expose them to something that I find wrong for a child to be exposed to?

Ok...so now that I went into long, drawn out detail, lol, my answer is no, I wouldn't.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:26 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• The parents can suggest but it's your money to buy what you want to give him. Just give him a food gift card of some sorts.
    Anonymous

• I probably wouldn't buy something that I wouldn't feel comfortable with having in my home

...because it does have to be in your home for a while, you'll have to wrap it, and your kids will see it, and then you have the awkward task of explaining that it's okay for brother-in-law, but not for them....

Just sounds like too much trouble.

I'm sure there's something you can find that he would think it is cool, and you'd feel good about being in your home.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Absolutely not. You should get him something you think he would like, but you don't have to condone something you don't agree with. You don't have to make a thing out of it, and you made it clear that you are not interesting in making a big deal out of it. Just give him a Toys R Us gift card or something. He is old enough for gift cards and then you don't have to directly support his interest in something that you don't approve of.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• No way would I buy something that slutty with my hubby's and my hard earned money.
    You may as well buy that kid an R-rated sex flick.
    Anonymous

• Get him something else! I wouldnt buy him the wrestlers. And if his mom has a problem with it, then shes a weirdo because its not right to tell someone they MUST get their child a specific gift. Get the boy something educational, Lord knows he needs it!
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 11:08 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• well i never ask for suggestions.. i get the kids whatever i want lol. buy him some wresting pjs or a shirt or something lol
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 11:17 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I would get it for him. Better to get him something he likes than waste your money on something that he'll never play with
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 11:20 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I would get it, my opinion is not infallible and its what he's parents are cool with. I think Barbie dolls are horrible, but thats just me, I still buy them for my niece.  Its not like your going to make some big impact on his love of wrestling by not getting it.  I'm sure you can find less sexualized figures...and I'm sure your enterprising enough to buy it, wrap it, and hide it from your kids.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:25 AM on Nov. 28, 2009