bi-polar disorder and pregnancy

i am diagnosed bi-polar and am now about 7 weeks pregnant. i have ceased all medication due to this pregnancy but i want to know, were i to be in a situation that i needed medication, what medication is safer? what do i have to be SURE to avoid? and how do i set things up so that if i were to be incompentent to authorize my own treatment, i can be sure that my babys safety will be kept in mind?

hettiebeth

Asked by hettiebeth at 11:14 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I recently had a bipolar diagnosis, and i have plans to have my second baby within the next few years so that was something i wanted answers to. Best thing to do is get a psych med ARNP or some other professional who will be able to tell you what you can take. Also I would consult what natural/herbal remedies might be good options. Good luck and congratulations!!!
    Anonymous

• I am bipolar and stopped all meds as well when i was pregnant.

I got lucky and my hormones seemed to level out my brain so that i truely didnt need meds while pregnant.

Im not sure about what meds are safe during pregnancy.

I know all that i have tried have been very unsafe for pregnancy. ive taken lithium, depakote, limictal and tegretol.

I would say talk to you psychiatrist and they should know what meds are safe...also work with you OB doc...have them do a consult if you wish to work together.

As far as incompetence and treatment...set it up so that someone you trust and knows most about your condition and moods would be the In charge party if you were unable to make decisions.

Maybe your SO or you mom or other relative? a friend?

Good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Also keeping track of you diet and what effects your moods either good or bad is a great thing to do..

such as caffiene which has a negative effect for alot of people.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My best friend is bi-polar and just had a happy healthy baby 6 months ago. She talked with her psychiatrist before becoming pregnant and he weaned her off most of her normal meds and put her on a couple that had very, very low risk for birth defects. Her OB and psychiatrist were very helpful on what meds that she could take and what meds were a major NO. Talk to both of them and see what they say. She did pretty good until the last 8 weeks when she was having some manic episodes but her husband kept a keen eye on her and would call the doctor if anything was going on that he was worried about. Gooc Luck!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:01 AM on Nov. 28, 2009