Grad School

Does anyone know any information or where I can find legit info on going on to a master's program? i am married, and we are above the poverty line however we do not have disposable income, we make combined about 50-60k/yr gross. I have almost 100,000$ in debt from undergrad so it's a little scarry but i need a further degree to get any job. I hate to sound whiney, so i'll quit while i'm hopefully still ahead, and just ask that if anyone has any good ideas PLEASE let me know!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in

• depends on what you want to study. I had a proffessor tell me that i shouldn't have to pay much of anything while going to grad school if i chose a good school

They offer Teaching assistants, and other positions depending on you major..that give tuition waivers and usually some kind of monthly stipend.

I'm currently looking for a grad program so i know what you are going through.

good luck.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• i'm from abroad. live in the US. i was a grad student not long agos and did not have much money either. the program i studied - hard science - was w/ not many grad students. actually the ratio of prof-s to undergrad-s is always low on these, faculties are busy w/ their jobs as everywhere, and if only there is money at the dept. - either for teaching at the chair's office or doing research for individual prof's, they are willing to pay for someone do some work. if i were you, i'd ask for teaching possition (that's usually 20 hrs/week) or research assistant position. they pay you money + you have not to pay any tuition at all. it made my schedule a bit tight, but i could do it, you can so too. trust me. wishing you alike situation in your field, call and ask them. btw: you have to be full time student.
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 11:34 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Contact the nearest branch of your state university. Make appointments with an admissions counselor and a financial aid counselor.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:54 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• http://www.gradschools.com/

You can start here by finding a program that is near you or online. Watch out though because they do list for profit schools on here as well.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:56 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I was in the almost exact position. I got my MS online from Walden University. It was all paid for by student loans (which are now due, AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!) It took 2 years. They have a variety of programs, so maybe check them out and see if they have what you want. As long as your student loans are not already in default, you should be able to get more for grad school. Good luck, and get your FAFSA done.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:23 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• Any accredited school should work but some are respected more than others. You could check school ratings. Depending on your field, ask an expert. I was in the legal field and found out a 2 yr degree from one school would get me hired faster than a 4 yr degree from a school in another state. I called the ABA and found that out. I changed fields for my Master's and went into Education. In many instances employer's just want the degree and don't care from which school as long as it's accredited. As for your loans, you can work them off. Check into something like Americorps or other ways to work off your student debt. You work it off and get paid a stipend so it's like working a job (making money) but still working off your debt at the same time.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2009