how to teach him?

my son is 9 mths. for some period, starting when he was 5 mths or so, he would support bottle in his hands while having his milk. if there was not much left i would let him hold it himself. certainly, his coordination was not that good, he pushed or pulled one way or another and the bottle went out of him mounth. i did not let him 'play' this way much, for not chocking. later, at 6 mths, we switched to the next nipple level (larger hole size) through which the milk just pours down when flipped. milk would get in his eyes, all over his face etc. i simply hold the bottle since then always. he's not supporting it anymore whereas i expected him to self-feed some time near now. what should i do to teach him eating by himself, not risking eye infection or anything like that? teach, not w/ the spoon certainly, but around the bottle at least. i know he could do it, he went just the easiest 'why to put any efford in it' way. any tips?

baby133

Asked by baby133 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some of the sippy cups have handles on the sides of them that can come off. Some of them will fit onto a wide neck bottle. Maybe the handles would be easier to hold onto. Just a thought.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• My son does new things, then he forgets about them and just stops doing it. I think that's normal. Maybe you can hold his hands on the bottle while you feed him? Then after a while he'll just start putting his hands there on his own, or he'll realize that he can do it himself. Don't do it until the bottle is already in his mouth so it doesn't go all over like you said.

Other than that I don't really know. My son refused bottles and was VERY willful about it. I was a failure at getting him to drink from a bottle no matter WHO was holding it! LOL!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• sorry, sippy is not for him. he bites on it and don't know how to use.
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• I didnt mean for you to use a sippy but some of them have handles that come off that you can put on a wide neck bottle. The handles on the bottle might help with holding it.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:47 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2661906 here is an example of what I am talking about. The handle will fit onto a bornfree bottle. When my daughter went to daycare, one of the other moms did this with her son. It made it a lot easier for him to hold it with the handles.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• Wait until he can sit unsupported and teach him to use a sippy cup then get rid of the bottles. Holding a bottle isn't a milestone anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Not all babies will hold their own bottles. Some never do, some do from an early age - it's not a normal milestone like sitting up & rolling over. If he's not making an effort, you can't teach him - it means he's enjoying the time cuddling in your arms, and you should take advantage of that time, no matter how pressed for time you think you are - babies grow up too fast, and you'll regret forcing him to feed himself when he's older. You can't make a baby hold their own bottle. Just enjoy the time you have with him this young. One of my kids was holding her own by 5 months, didn't even want to be held anymore, and was off the bottle by 9 months (her choice). I wish she'd stayed a baby longer, instead of pushing me away at feeding time :(.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Nov. 28, 2009