Sex to induce labor?? Ladies plz help

I was wondering, i am 37 weeks pregnant and 2 cms dilated. I am going to try sex to start contractions but im debating on waiting another week? Has anyone used this method and if so how fast did labor start? I am very scared and anxious and dont want to make the wrong choice, please give me any advice u have on this subject. thank you

isabella1218

Asked by isabella1218 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't think you should worry. ;-)

It will work if your body is already teetering on the brink of labor anyhow. It's a very natural "inducer" because it's something moms would do anyhow (some, anyway). And it's only increasing hormones, not adding outside chemicals, etc. It's safe, fun, fine for low-risk moms.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2009

• im 36 weeks... DH and I have sex all the time and it doesnt do crap for me. I dont see why you should have to wait. Its not going to help you unless your cervix is "ripe" and ready.... I would try it.. it couldnt hurt. Also nipple stimulation helps too. My DH is a boob man so he is constantly stimulating my nipples and still no contractions... Not so much as a braxton hicks this far
    Anonymous

• It only helps when your cervix is ready, when your cervix is ready then it will be a great help and works well but there is nothing you can do to speed it up. You can also stay at 2 cm for a week and have no other changes (been there done that) I know all the pregnant moms are sick of hearing this but I am going to say it any ways lol, I have been in your shoes 3 times and If I have learned anything it is that you just have to let nature take charge and stop trying to rush things, it happens in its own time, your due date is an estimate only your body truly knows when the baby is due. I know it seems like the end of the world right now and you just can not stand to be pregnant a moment longer, but good things are worth waiting for :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• oookk a lot of people would not recommend this but out of curiosity i did anyways and it doesnt work for everyone! but it did me! i was just tired of hearing peoples stories and decided to see if castor oil would work for me or not, i was 38 weeks with my first and 1 cm dilated 28 hours later i was holding my perfectly health BIG baby girl. i used 2 ml of CASTOR ( in the medicine isle) oil and a half a glass of OJ
    just sharing my experience but i would ask your doctor first if i were you mine was kinda irritated when she found out i drank castor oil thank god my delivery wasnt messy at all LOL
    armymum1013

Answer by armymum1013 at 2:45 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I don't think it would be a "wrong decision" unless a doctor has told you not to have sex! It may or may not induce labor to start....labor will start eventually anyway....and it probably won't do anything if your body isn't ready anyway. If you think you might enjoy the sex, go for it!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:24 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• yes I did with my oldest, I would wait another week, and now as to how fast I woke up the next morning about 6 am in labor, so it did work, but I was already 3 weeks over due, had stupid doctors back than and They would not induce me so I tried every thing, but the sex worked.
    ladysunshine197

Answer by ladysunshine197 at 8:40 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• WAIT!!! do not try to induce unless u are 100% sure ur far enough along and ur doc tells u its ok. i had sex when i was told i was 37 weeks, based on size and all they thought that was accurate. but it turned out i was closer to 30 weeks. and i had a premi baby that stayed in the hospital for 3 weeks
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 4:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Sex didn't work for me. But it was fun trying ;) sex won't induce labor unless your body and baby are ready.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2009