Biting toddler.....

My 12 month old bites me and our cat. Usually he bites me if he is tired/hungry, but he does it playing, too. Please anyone with strong tactics to tackling this battle. The cat and I cannot take anymore torture.

Amberoz

Asked by Amberoz at 12:17 AM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I popped my daughters (both of them) in the mouth. NOT HARD - I didn't SLAP them or injure them or HURT them. I just popped them and said "NO!" very firmly. I'm sure I'll get called a child abuser for it but I can tell you that neither one of my kids bit for very long. My oldest daughter didn't bite people hardly at all actually. And my youngest (who is a bit more stubborn) did - but again, not very long. I can't even think of a time when I had to do the 'popping of the mouth' thing for my youngest (although I know I did) because they both quit real soon after I did it.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 4:21 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Does he bite in the same places every time? If so, maybe you could buy some of that nail polish that tastes bitter and put it on the place he normally bites. Just popped in my head. The stuff is clear and i'm sure it'd catch him off guard. If that didn't work i would just pop him in the mouth once and not real hard; he will be so shocked that you did it and will more than likely not do it again. I know some parents bite back but I wouldn't do that because it will just start a biting war. You could stress how much it hurts but I am assuming you've already done that. I wish you luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My 13 month old bit me out of the blue the other night. We were playing on the couch and he was tired. He put laid his head on my chest and then turned and bit me! I yelled pretty loud because it hurt me, and it scared him and he stopped biting. He hasn't done it again, so I hope I scared him when I yelled.

So maybe next time he bites, you yell real loud and maybe it will scare him to stop. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Tahnks, ladies! I was popping in the mouth for a while, until people were giving me grief about it. Looks like it is not that bad. I gotta be consistant about it & do it every time. Hopefully thins will stop soon=)
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 4:06 PM on Nov. 28, 2009