Am I the only one who struggles with this?

I feel just awful if I buy something for my son that is less than brand name. I spent $300 on his car seat and the toddler bed I want for him is $200. His high chair is an Eddie Bougher. All his clothes are Gap. I won't let him wear anything less than Huggies. I just feel like a crappy Mom if he doesn't have the very best of the best. I guess I associate how good of a Mom I am by how much I buy for him and how expensive it was.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The cost of an item has nothing to do with love. Your child will not know the difference for many, many years. Placing such value on material things is wasted energy. If your son is safe, warm, has a home, food, clothing and the medical care he needs all he needs is love..and no amount of money on this earth can buy that.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:44 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Wow. I guess I am the worst mother on the planet. Honestly, if the child is warm fed and safe, what the hell does it matter whose name is on what he uses?
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 12:36 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I struggle more with money. I used to do pampers for my son- but switched to Target store brand a few months a go. My son is 2 and heis diapers are a lot less crazy than when he was a baby. If you can afford the finest things for your son, go for it. Just know that your son won't know the difference when he gets older.

You will be a great mom regardless of what you buy for your son (provided he is clothed, fed, and warm). Kids really don't care or compare what they have to others until they are older.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:37 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I would never spend that kind of money on those things, especially when you can get really good products a lot cheaper. If I had extra money like that I would put it away for my kids or for a day when I really needed it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Well that's obviously not what makes you a good or bad mom. If you can afford it, what does it matter? I buy my son huggies no matter how broke we are but other then that he gets what we can afford.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 12:42 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Sounds very wasteful & petty to me. You have become a foolish person who spends extra money just on the brand name. Buying like that doesn't guarantee you quality, or a better product, you are just foolishly making someone else rich by purchasing a product with their name on it.

Being a good mom has nothing to giving your children the best of the best & wasting money on overly expensive things. A good mom does just the opposite. Making wise choices with money now so you can provide more important things like an education for them in the future. And by doing this, you set a good example for your children to follow, teaching them financial wisdom which will ensure a good, secure future for them as they become an adult.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:50 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Being a good mom means doing whatever you think is best for you and your family. I am suprised by how many of the women responding to this question act like they have never struggled with difficult choices.
    Marketing and media pressure set moms up to believe that a higher price means higher quality. Give this mommy a break. Jeez!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I'm more worried that you're so hung up on name brands but can't even spell Bauer! Funny. I buy all name brands too but that's just because I like the look of them best, DD couldn't care less! Also, Huggies suck, I'd never put DD in those! I get Nature Babycare diapers, they're biodegradable, chlorine free, and work great! Better for baby and the environment!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• True story--My mother bought our son a brand new pair of Reebok tennis shoes when he was 18 months old. He wore them one day. Why because on the ride home from her house to ours, he threw them out the car window. We only ever found one. So now at 14 when he asks why he doesn't get name brand, that's our reasoning. LOL

Seriously, he won't know name brands right now. Save the cash for when he will appreciate it.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:14 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• This has got to be a drama post. No mom is so stupid that she sincerely thinks buying the name brands is what is important in life and what makes you a good mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Nov. 28, 2009