crate training

im getting a 11 week old pit bull puppy tomorrow and would like to crate train her. anybody have a special way they trained there dog or what did u do? thank you

djsmommy13

Asked by djsmommy13 at 1:15 AM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Pets

• with our dogs we made sure they had their blanket and a favorite toy with them, we refer to their crate as their room (my older dogs all i have to say is "kennel up" and they go) my puppy I say "go to your room" and she gives me that sad i dont wanna go look lol, it takes time they will cry at first and it breaks your heart, but making it a normal part of their day helps. My puppy goes in any time i leave the house now (since she has decided to eat everything if i dont) and at bed time every night, i used to keep her in my room in the crate but she cried because she could see me, we placed it out side our room which has worked great.

I do the same thing i do with potty training i give her a treat everytime she does goes in on her own, and i give her a treat every time she comes out and tell her "good room" puppies learn quickly when treats are involved, petsmart has a tube of "training treats" that i use and work well.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:29 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Ok, first thing's first. Choose a crate that is just big enough for the puppy to turn around and lay down (a crate that "grows" with the pup is a good choice). Crate training, esp. as an aid to house breaking, wont work if the crate is big enough for the puppy to eliminate on one end and sleep on the other. Make sure the puppy is in the crate any time you can not watch him/her.

Ensure the crate is always a positive experience. That means, do not use it as a time out. Give treats in the crate and give the puppy lots of praise for being calm when in the crate. Because puppies want to be with the family, they typically whine when first left in the crate. IGNORE all whining and only let the puppy out when calm and quiet. It is usually easiest to place the puppy in for short amount of times and slowly increase the time spent in the crate. You can also randomly put treats in there when the puppy isn't looking to make it pleasant
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 3:15 AM on Nov. 28, 2009