My husband is deployed for the 4th time in 5 years :(

We have been married for 5 years and he has only been home for one Christmas. We dont have much money and I have 2 kids to shop for also. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can send him thats not exspensie but meaningful? Any suggestions will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance...Stina

Ronnies_Girl

Asked by Ronnies_Girl at 1:17 AM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Holidays

• At the hallmark store they have those books where you can record your voice to the story. Depending on your kids ages you can have them say some of the words here and there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Why in the world has he been deployed that much? What branch is he in?
    We are military too and we have two kids. Luckily DH's tour in Iraq just ended. He'll be home for Christmas but he's stationed in Germany and we're still stuck state side until we get some legal stuff cleared up. Anywho. I scrapbook, so for my DH i made him a very mini book to take with him back to Germany. The boys helped me make it too.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:29 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• He is Army and i guess its just bad luck. :( it is getting really annoying though
    Ronnies_Girl

Answer by Ronnies_Girl at 1:36 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I am so sorry that your family has to celebrate Christmas apart again! You must be a very strong woman. I hope your husband knows how much his service is appreciated.

The best suggestion I have would be a dvd of family pictures put to music. I have done this several times for gifts and it is much more meaningful than most other gifts. I am guessing he would like to be able to see pictures of his kids. I like the program Window's Movie Maker.
    Good Luck!
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 1:43 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• AnnaMac, I love your answer. my only problem is i have one of those really small crappy computers whos only purpose is getting online. i cant put a CD in it :( i have done the CD thing before and he loved it. Thanks hun
    Ronnies_Girl

Answer by Ronnies_Girl at 1:48 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• How about a digital photo key chain? Or even a digital photo frame? Right now you can get some inexpensive, basic ones for about $30 in stores or online, and a 4 gb memory card along with it, you should be under $50 and it would be an awesome gift b ecause you can fill it with hundreds of photos, and then later on you can buy another memory card, take pictures til its full, and send it to him. You can send the memory cards back and forth so he has a continual supply of new photos.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:08 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• BTW sorry to hear he's been deployed so much. my hubby is Air Force, and though he doesn't deploy much we have quite a few friends who go on 6-8 month deployments quite frequently, sometimes 8 months gone 8 months home. I know it sucks, hang in there. His service and yours are appreciated.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:09 AM on Nov. 28, 2009