puppy food

i have always heard that pit bulls have sensative stomachs. i was wandering what kind of food you feed your pit bull?

djsmommy13

Asked by djsmommy13 at 2:12 AM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Pets

• I dont have a pit bull, but i do have a friend who has a dog with a sensitive stomach and she feeds him lamb and rice pet foods, she makes sure that none of the treats or foods he is given has corn in it. She told me that something about the corn upsets his stomach and makes him runny (sorry if TMI) I have experienced it when dog sitting, he has gotten to my dogs food once or twice and i had to deal with the side effects (now i make sure the food is put in the garage before he gets here even for a hour long visit). I would suggest asking your vet or if your using a breeder to get your dog, talk to them and find out what they have been feeding because all animals will have slight stomach issues when the food is changed.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:25 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• In all my years of experience with dogs I have never heard of pits having sensitive stomachs. Most likely, the dog will be fine. Just ensure that you don't switch foods too quickly. Gradually introduce a new food over 7-10 days to allow the system to get used to it.

If you are still worried about it, the best thing to do is feed a chicken and rice formula. Chicken and rice for dogs is like chicken noodle soup for us, it is very gentle on the stomach and easy to digest. You may also consider a formula specially made for sensitive stomachs.

I'm a pet nutrition counselor, so please feel free to PM me with any other questions.
    Tuzyae

Answer by Tuzyae at 3:05 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I have a pit bull mix and a flat-coat retreiver mix, they both eat California Natural. I will only feed my dogs a holistic diet because the ingrediants are so much better and the food is just better period. California Natural is a bland diet meant for dogs with Allergies or sensitive tummies. When you are looking at the differant foods take the price into account because is the food is cheap then the food is more then likely crap. here is a excellant site that reviews the majority of foods and can tell you the pros and cons

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 28, 2009