Silly question-- crib to bed

My son's crib is one that converts into a toddler bed and then later a bigger bed. We are moving soon and will probably change his crib to the toddler bed at that time. Will he need a new mattress, or are crib mattresses able to fit a toddler bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Nov. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• A crib mattress will fit a toddler bed.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 7:58 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• A toddler bed is basically a crib with one side missing. At least that's what my kids crib/toddler bed was - one side came off, then we lowered the mattress to the lowest setting. I guess it depends on how your crib converts really.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:28 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• The crib mattress should fit just fine in the toddler bed. If I could give an opinion though... I would skip the tot bed stage and go right for the big bed. I only say this because children can sometimes have a rough time adjusting from their nice enclosed space to something open. Its also hard to keep them in it once they realize the freedom is there. If you only had to do this transition once it would be alot easier on you and the child. You would be able to lay with them for a period of time if there was an issue like bad dreams or not wanting to stay in the bed, impossble to do with a tot bed. And they do have bed rails if falling out is a concern. Sorry if I overstepped your question, just something I felt might help.
    formykids373

Answer by formykids373 at 7:18 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• We had convertible cribs for our sons, and when they were ready for the toddler stage (the mattress stays as is, you just remove the sliding side to make a daybed), we decided to just move them to full/queen sized beds--the wide sides of the crib became the head and foot boards, and we bought inexpensive mattresses and box springs which came with a free bed frame, positioned the beds in their rooms against one wall (lengthwise), and added a mesh side rail, and also bought inexpensive waterproof mattress pads (less than $10 at Walmart).

Both of my children like to spread out when they sleep, so we found that they slept much better in a full bed than they did in their cribs--and those few nights when they weren't feeling well, made it a lot easier for me to lay down/stay with them in their full-sized beds, so everyone got some sleep! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:35 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• skip the toddler bed. Go ahead and get a twin or a full.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2009