At what age did you start giving your kid baby carrots (uncooked)?

cloud144

Asked by cloud144 at 2:45 AM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if you decide to give your toddler uncooked baby carrots cut them long ways in half or even in quarters before giving it to him/her. This ensures that no matter how big of a bit your toddler takes it will still be skinny enough to fit through his/her "tube" (sorry, going blank on the name. it's late. i should go to bed. lol).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:11 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I waited for hard stuff like that until they had at least their first set of molars.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:36 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I don't recall....my kids are older now. But, uncooked baby carrots are pretty easy to choke on....I often find myself coughing up pieces of carrot myself. I wouldn't rush the baby carrots....I would wait until well after the ages they warn you about for various foods. The child should have a full set of teeth and have full control of his coordination. I think the child should be speaking in full sentences, not drooling at all, and have a good track record of chewing carefully before you start baby carrots. I would say definitely over 3 years old.....and I would wait longer if the child is less coordinated or less verbal.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 7:37 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• my dd is 17 months and had sliced (long ways) carrots on Thanksgiving for the first time. They were thin enough, my df used a potato peller, and she ate it well. she is getting her 1st set of molars though, I dont know if that would influence your decision
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:46 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My daughter is almost three and I have tried to give them to her but she still chews them up and spits them out. I don't know if she doesn't like the taste or they are still to hard for her to chew completely and swallow.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• If you do make sure you cut them into thin strips. You can also you your cheese grater and top off mash potatoes. Sweet potatoes are also a great source of vitamin A.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I started giving them right before their 2nd birthday, but I cut them length wise first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I don't remember with my first 3, but my last child has been eating them since he was about 18 months old - whole baby carrots dipped in ranch dressing - he knows how to take a small bit and chew carefully.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My son is almost three and has all of his molars and refuses uncooked veggies. I don't think he knows how to chew them properly yet so he chews a little and spits them out. If they are cooked he will eat any veggie you put in front of him and ask for more. I hope he likes them when he's older though. He eats raw fruits but only if they are cut up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I don't remember when my DD started eating raw carrots, but she'll be 3 next month and has been eating them for awhile now. I don't cut them up, but I do watch her. Maybe try something "softer" first, like sugar snap peas - - they require the same biting and chewing coordination, but aren't quite as hard as carrots - it might give you a good idea if your child is ready for other veggies.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2009