Does your 4 month old sleep thru the night? What's the trick?

My 4 month old is getting up 3 times a night still.. it's exhausting to say the least. She had been doing a lot better than that and we even had one night that she actually slept thru.

What I'm wondering is:

How much does your baby eat and about how often?

How often does your baby nap and for how long?

When does your baby go to bed and when does he/she wake up?

Also... any tips? Anything at this point would be much appreciated!!

Thank you.

eab001

Asked by eab001 at 8:04 AM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 4 months, my first was eating about 6 oz of formula every 3-4 hours, my second was nursing for about 15 minutes every 3-4 hours.
    My first was napping 3 times a day, 1.5-2 hours each; my second was napping twice a day, about 2 hours each.
    Both went to bed at 8:00pm, my first woke up about 8:00am, my second about 7:00am.
    At that point, both were sleeping through the night. My first had been since 2.5 months and still does to this day (he's 2). My second had been since 1.5 months, but started waking up again at 6 months when I left her home to go to work.
    No tricks. I just got lucky. Give it time; 4 months is still early for that.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:28 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• is she bf or ff?
    my 9 mth old still wkaes up once or twice. before itwas about 2-3 times. not even my 33 mth old sleeps thru the nite.
    hetakes lil naps here and there
    the longest ins 2 hrs nap shortest like 10 mts
    he goes to bed at 10 most days sometimes 9
    his up by 9 but he eakes up at 3-7 to eat most nights
    your a mom we dont sleep lol
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:19 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My nine month old wakes up about 3 to 4 times in the night. I'm bfing. Even if she goes to bed late she's still up at or before 8am. she takes about 3 short naps during the day, and I bf her almost every 2 hours give or take an hour.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 8:25 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• She's bf but she also gets 2 cereal feedings by spoon.. one in the morning and one at night.
    eab001

Answer by eab001 at 8:28 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My daughter was 8 months old the first time she slept six solid hours. She was about 14 months when she was sleeping through the night on a regular basis. I was sustained by two thing:

1) co-sleeping; it was easy for me to doze/sleep while she ate
    2) the knowledge that the smarter they are, the less they sleep

Answer by rkoloms at 8:45 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• when u breast feed they dont usually sleep through the night. unless u really fill them up with food like 4 meals a day n she eats good. that was my trick. she'd wake up at night like 5 times a night if she didnt eat that good
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 8:45 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• At four months you will probably not have much of a pattern. I got lucky with one child and she was sleeping through the night at 8 weeks, but the majority aren't. Those random nights that they sleep all night are wonderful, but won't be normal probably for many more months. Once my kids were eating 3 solid meals a day - usually around 8 months, then I started working on getting them to sleep all night. I breastfed, so my hubby would get up with them. If they weren't truly hungry they went back to sleep for him and eventually quit waking. But they were 9 months or older at that time.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:47 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• It's normal to be getting up. Hell my 10 month old just started sleeping through the night 3 nights ago. My oldest didn't start until this age too despite the fact that he was eating solids more often sooner than his little brother. Sleeping through the night is a developmental milestone and not something you can force.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:57 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My 3mo has been sleeping through the night since he was 2weeks old. But that is not the norm for most kids. In fact, my other two didn't start until they were toddlers. He goes to bed at about 9:30-10 and gets up between 6 and 7am. He takes a morning and an afternoon nap (about 2-3hrs ea.). He is ff and we just started him on stage one. Don't push your baby to sleep through, they all have different cycles and sleep and eat what is best for them.
    jcsg

Answer by jcsg at 9:18 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• It will happen when it happens. Mine slept through the night at 5 days and again at 10 days and then consistently by 6 weeks old. She still sleeps through the night. If you look up the definition of sleeping through the night it is considered as 5 hours or more. If you LO is sleeping 5 hours or more in one shot then they are sleeping through the night. It is something that happens and can't be forced. My mom was lucky with both of us and we got lucky with our LO. I also feel that her home being a calm environment where Mommy and Daddy get along very well is a key player in all of this. BTW my LO was breast fed.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:19 AM on Nov. 28, 2009