How can I get my 3mth old to take a bottle?

I have been breastfeeding for 3 mths now and I recently went back to work. I love breastfeeding; however, I can't do it through the day when I'm at work. My little girl will not take a bottle. She will go all day without eating before she will take it. I have tried every nipple and bottle that I possibly can and still having no luck. I recently ordered breastflow bottles from first years online, so I am anxious to see if that will do the trick. As soon as you put the bottle nipple in her mouth she starts crying. I have tried both straight breastmilk, formula, and the two mixed. I don't know what else to try. Does anyone have a suggestion?

1stmommy6175

Asked by 1stmommy6175 at 9:38 AM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son did exactly the same thing. I couldn't leave him with anyone because he absolutely would not take a bottle. I had luck briefly with the Playtex bottles, but then he went back to refusing it again. You can try a good sippy cup, that might work. Or you can see if her care giver will feed her with a small spoon rather than a bottle. I ended up staying home with my son so I never really got a good solution (I realize that this is not an option for everyone or a good solution so please don't think I'm saying that's what you should do). He just nursed until he was 13 months and never really took the bottle much. Sorry, I don't have a very good answer... just a "I had the same problem - you're not alone" sort of comment.

Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:46 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Mine wouldn't either, so here's a bump to see if anyone else has any ideas.
    MonicaE521

Answer by MonicaE521 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Some babies are like this. Just leave the milk and if he takes it, he takes it... otherwise he'll just make up the missed feedings when you get home. You can try a sippy cup with the valve removed (tip cup, baby takes a sip)... but that doesn't always work either.

My best friends little girl was like this and she just waited for mom to come home and nursed throughout the night. Some babies sleep 8 hours straight at this age, so it's the same thing, really. They need a certain amount of milk over 24 hours, not a certain amount every so many hours.

Is it at all possible to come home for lunch to nurse? That's another idea...
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Leanne has some great ideas. Also, you can encourage reverse cycling, which is kind of what she is decribing above. You encourage the baby to eat more at night so that they do not need as much during the day. You can try a sippy cup, my DD never took a bottle but loves cups.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 4:09 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I wanted to let you all know that out of the blue on Saturday, my baby finally took a bottle and she has done it ever since!!!
    1stmommy6175

Answer by 1stmommy6175 at 10:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2009