nursing while pregnant

hi- my 24 mo old DD still nurses at nap time and bedtime( we do co sleeping) - I don't mind it and it has been very helpful with our recent move- which is temp and we will have to move again soon- prob before my DS is born in early march...my midwife and others I have talked to said it's fine to nurse- but the one dr I saw said that nursing in the last tri can cause early labor...? I thought that there was no difference between the hormones released with nursing and the ones released during orgasm- prob less with nursing my DD since the nursing sessions are so brief- so if I can have sex, why would nursing be a concern- or is the dr just old school? thanks in advance for any responses

momasoonto2

Asked by momasoonto2 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am 9 months pregnant and have nursed my daughter (13 months) the entire pregnancy. I would say if you had pre-term labor with your other pregnancy you may have a problem, but it general I don't think it is an issue. I have had some strong contractions while nursing her, but they never last and certainly didn't start labor! I wish!!! I have been trying to nurse her more often for that reason. Lol!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:24 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Often, doctors are not as well-informed on breastfeeding.      You can learn if you are at-risk for preterm labor already (most women are not).    If you are healthy and normal, then breastfeeding while pregnant is safe and fine.
    When I nursed through my pregnancy, I did become sore (the milk decreased, but nursling kept going), but I was okay.     I continued after the delivery to tandem nurse for a year, too.
    I liked the book Adventures In Tandem Nursing, if you're interested in that...    And, check out:

kellymom.com :: Nursing During Pregnancy & Tandem Nursing

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:50 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Your doctor is concerned about the release of oxytocin during let down. Oxytocin also stimulates contractions, potocin is the synthetic version of this. Your doc is just repeating old advice from an old text book. The amount of oxytocin will be insignificant. Docs really know very little it comes to BF. Check out this link from the baby center:

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-continue-breastfeeding-while-pregnant_8935.bc

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:42 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My doctor said the same thing, and my midwife said it was ok. I was not high risk, my first was born 3 days after his due date. When I got pregnant my son was only 12 months and nursing a LOT, atleast 4 times a day and 3 times at night. I continued nursing throughout the pregnancy. My son was born on his due date and continued bfing my oldest after he was born as well. I highly recommend reading the book "The adventures of tandem nursing". You can get it from the La Leche League website www.llli.org, or you can borrow it from a LLL meeting, or get it on amazon. Its a wonderful book! Many people breastfeed while they are nursing with no problem, infact there is a group on CM for tandem breastfeeders.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I was nursing my son during my entire last pregnancy. He was 18 months old when I got pregnant. My daughter was born 1 day shy of 41 weeks. While it did cause some contractions towards the end (the last week or so), nothing that last beyond the nursing session.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 3:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• You are fine to continue nursing. I have had two pregnancies where I nursed throughout the entire pregnancy. I tandem nursed for 9 months after my son was born in December and it was an amazing experience.
    Jules_

Answer by Jules_ at 9:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2009