What can I expect when son turns one in regards to whole milk, food, sleep ect....

Looking for tips, advice, suggestions. I've never done bottles all day because I breastfeed. I would have no idea as I wean him how many ounces of cow milk to give him and when. Any anything else that changes at a year.

tazkitty

Asked by tazkitty at 10:35 AM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can still BF if you would like i would start out with BFing in the morning feeding with cereal and some apple sauce, then give him about 4oz of milk (up that ever few days) with his lunch and whatever food you want him for lunch, then afternoon snack give him juice and a snack, at dinner give him milk, and then before bed BF him. Don't give him a bottle start him on a sippy cup it will be easier for you and him. I hope this helps you some and GL.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:49 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Well you can continue to breastfeed as long and you feel you want to... it doesn't have to stop at a year if you don't want.
    I would start using a sippy cup with meals to practice... you can put in it what you want... water, breastmilk, whole milk... whatever.
    My son didn't have any trouble going from breastmilk to whole milk but some kids need to have a mix of the two to get used to the new taste.
    if you son is taking a large amount of milk right now just slowly cut back
    For foods... he should be on all table foods by now... working on using a fork and spoon if you haven't tried that yet. He will be getting his 1 year molars which allows for a few more foods. Still avoid high risk choking foods becasue they don't have the ability to eat those yet.
    Sleep... you son should be sleeping through the night... usually they cut back to 1 longer nap rather than a couple short naps
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:12 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Don't worry about the bottle. If you're going to give milk, go to a sippy or straw cup. Our pediatrician told us no more than 20-24oz per day of 2% at 9 months of age...but that is what was right for MY kids.

I (nor anyone else on this site) can tell you what to expect for your son as he enters his toddler years.

Mine were on all table foods eating anything I put in front of them, drinking from straw cups (switched from sippy cups) and were down to one nap a day (night time sleeping remained the same as it was for the previous few months).
    Anonymous

• You don't have to wean from breastfeeding at 1 - you can if you're ready, but 1 is the guideline for formula and bottles, not breastmilk.
    When you're ready to introduce whole milk, start giving a sippy cup of it at meal time. If he doesn't like it, try mixing it with breastmilk for a few days. There are many kinds of sippy cups to choose from - some kids show a marked preference, while others will drink out of anything you give them. You might want to stock up on a couple different kinds.
    Most kids are ready to switch to 1 nap a day around 1 year - sometimes a little after. If getting him down for the morning nap is getting difficult, try pushing it back an hour or 2. If he still goes down for 2 naps and bedtime is going well, then he still needs that sleep for awhile. Bedtime should be a routine - the same thing happening every night so that he knows what's coming.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I have found with my kids that giving them time to "wind down" - - with only quiet activities like books, coloring, and puzzles for about an hour before bedtime - - works wonders. They are calm and ready for bedtime when we tell them it's time to brush teeth, wash faces, and get in pajamas.

Good luck!! I know it feels like they're leaving babyhood behind them when they turn 1 - just remember to have fun :)
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 28, 2009