how do u feel about soap?

sitting here wastching super nanny, she doesnt believe that you should punish your child with soap in the mouth. i have personally never had it done to me but i was raised on the idea. do you think that its really that horrible?

Wytegirl

Asked by Wytegirl at 10:53 AM on Nov. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• not my parenting style at all! soap wont kill the child but soap isnt meant to ingest
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:56 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• i never said they had to ingest it just put it in there mouth.
    Wytegirl

Answer by Wytegirl at 11:00 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• right I know, obviously lol but there is a chance they would ingest the soap suds as the drool increases and I wouldnt want my son to risk swallowing it.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:01 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• soap will just clean them out. it will make them poop lol.. my daughter loves to eat soap. she picks up bars and bites them. So really theres no point in me doing that. I have never had it done to me either.
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 11:05 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I don't think that causing pain or gastro-intestinal distress are appriate forms of punishment; in fact, legally they are torture.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:06 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I had it done to me. It sure worked. Im not at that stage with my kid, so I dont know if I would do it or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Okay DS is 4 and some bigger boys taught him some naughty words, nothing worked, time outs etc..One time a small bit of soap on the tip of my finger and placed on his tounge, he has never said a bad word again, I am not talking the bar just a tiny bit! He remembers is and when DH said a bad word the other day, ran and said Daddy you have to have the soap, DH did his punishment as well--LOL! I agree that pouring it in or sticking the bar in and rubbing it around or making them hold it in their mouth is way to extreme,,,,but honestly that little taste cured his "dirty mouth"!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:44 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• How would you like it if I put soap in your mouth everytime you said something I didn't like? Just because it is a child saying the naughty words doesn't make it okay for you, the adult, to shove soap in the child's mouth (would you do that to another adult?). Talk about bullying! There are far better ways to deal with a child's "potty" mouth, one being to take into consideration the child's age (potty mouths are often a phase), another being what the child hears on a daily basis (do you & DH swear? yes? Then don't expect your kids to not swear), & a really big thing to take into consideration is how you respond to the child's behavior, no matter the child's age (if you act up, either by laughing or getting bent out of shape, the kid is going to do it again, and again, and again - guaranteed - b/c of all the attention it got him/her). If you have instilled strong morals in your child, the phase will be brief & life will go on.
    Anonymous

• I had it done to me for cursing. I didn't curse again till the age of 18. I don't think it's a bad thing but something not used all the time. Anyway, buy an all natural soap.

Anonymous

Ditto what they said
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2009