What are some silly or stupid myths you have been told about nursing?

The latest one my MIL told me during Thanksgiving was that extended bf will age me faster! LOL!!!

Eliza247

Asked by Eliza247 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That it will create sagging breasts. I'm 51 and they're as perky as ever.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:34 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• i've also heard about the sagging myth. I think gravity is to blame, not breastfeeding lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:39 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My grandmother use to say that if you had small breasts that you didnt have enough milk. I guess that means if you have double D's you should call Mayfields. LOL
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:41 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My MIL said BFing is a great form of birth control. I told her no, its not, especially if you get your period after you have the baby like I did. She still insisted she was right.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:46 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• That beer will increase your supply. That breastmilk isn't nutritious enough for a baby. That its so incredibly hard and not worth it. To supplement if the baby wants to nurse more. That if your sick you should stop nursing. That if your on any medication (whatever it is) you should stop. Thats just off the top of my head. Theres a website that has a list of these, I'll be back, I'm gonna find it.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:56 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:58 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I can't think of any myths exactly. But no one on my step-mothers side of the family has breastfeed, one cousin even told me she's never even known anyone who has breastfed except for me. So another cousin tried it and said it she couldn't do it and quit after a week because her baby didn't gain any weight right away. I was just kind of sad for her and shocked that no one told her that usually happens.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I had someone from LLL state (during a breastfeeding class for new mothers) that "introducing a pacifier before 6 weeks of age will cause your milk to dry up."

That is a direct quote, too. I'll never forget that crap. There were several of us who got up and walked out.
    Anonymous

• I've never heard of LLL offering a new mother's class. Please link to this group? They are all listed on the web.
    Anonymous

• That makes me sad because the LLL is supposed to be there to give us -correct information.
    JessnJesse3

Answer by JessnJesse3 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 28, 2009