i think my 6 month old daughter is teething but i see no teeth

my daughter has very bad diaper rash on the top of her vagina...it's not bothering her at all and around her mouth and cheeks she looks like she has a little rash can someone please tell me what might be going on she is chewing on her fist all the time and everything she grabs goes right into her mouth now i know thats normal but she just screams out of nowhere i just wish i could stop her pain

xchevycheyennex

Asked by xchevycheyennex at 11:33 AM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you dont necessarily have to SEE teeth to assume she is teething! offer her some teething toys. my son has a vibrating teether he has used for a long time. you can also offer a cold wet washcloth or stick a pacifier in the fridge for a bit. massage her gums with your finger! last resort, offer some homeopathic teething tablets or ointment! tylenol is also known to help reduce swelling! the rash could be due to a number of things. if you suspect she is teething, that might be the cause of the rash! between diaper changes let her air dry and apply a soothing rash cream. around bathtime you can pour some oatmeal in a tube sock, tie it up and crush it, let it soak in warm bath water and she'll have a nice soothing oatmeal bath!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:39 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• She may teeth for weeks and weeks without actually seeing a tooth.

You can rub a bit of orajel on her gums or maybe a teething tablet or two....

Her cheeks and mouth sound like eczema to me. My dd has it and right now is when it starts to break out.

I wash my dd in Dove no scent.... its best for her skin and use Eucerin cream on her face and body to protect her from the cold wind.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:40 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• DD was teething for about 5 or 6 months before she even got teeth. Its frustrating, and sometimes teething tablets dont always work. The joys of being a mommy.....
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:48 AM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Teeth are under the gums. When you can see them break thru, she will be almost done with the pain. It's hurting her before they show. Motrin worked best for me. Tylenol sucks if you ask me. If she's got a rash, put powder (corn starch) kind on her every time! NOT regular baby powder. That tends to make it worse.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Be sure to talk to your child's pediatrician when you get a chance and they can help you with your questions. Not sure about the rash on the cheeks. The rash on her bumper could be something other than from teething. It could be a yeast infection. Their gums usually itch and make them uncomfortable for a while before you see the redness, blistering and white shadows showing up. They can drool for a while too. Some babies don't even have symptoms. Some are a little fussy. I've had parents try tylenol or motrin but only under a doctor's direction. Do you have any of those cool teething rings you can put in the fridge? They sometimes can provide some comfort.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:23 PM on Nov. 28, 2009