Where are all of the frugal SAHM's?

I'm in need of some frugal and wise SAHM's to be my friend and help me raise my family on a budget. I've joined some frugal groups on CafeMom and read some frugal blogs, but they just aren't helping me.

I know some of you ladies are great at raising your family on a tight budget and I need your friendship, support, guidance, and advice. I have a lot of food allergies that I have to work around when grocery shopping, so a frugal novice probably won't be able to help me much.

If you're a SAHM that is a pro at caring for your family on a tight budget and you don't mind showing me the way and having friendly family oriented chats, then please send me a friend invite (not a generic one, please refer to this post).

If you have some great frugal advice or links you care to share, I'd be super grateful.

Thanks ladies.

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 12:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I am not the Queen of frugal by any means. Especially on groceries. But I do good with cloths shopping.

I buy almost everything that my kids wear at the thrift store. They are all in excellent condition and are name brand too.

The trick to thrift store shopping is to find a LARGE one, and go a lot. To really get a good deal you have to go about once a week to keep an eye out for the good stuff. ;)

Just thought I would pass that info out there! lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I really like the deals and steals group
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:16 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I can give you some really great coupon tips depending on where you live. Send me a message.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Also with the clothes shopping, you can also go to stores like gymboree (for little kids) and old navy (for you and your older kids) and check their bargain section. I have found t-shirts and stuff in all sizes for a fraction of the normal price(like 2.50-5.00) and to be honest old navy has great prices on t-shirts anyway. Lots of times $5 reg price. I came out of gymboree one time having paid $35 for over $100 worth of their clothing. You just have to go often and check their sale items which are typically at the back of the store. My thing is, that if it's not on sale or a really good price I usually don't buy it.

As far as grocery shopping I use coupons. I scan weekly ads, find sale items I need and then match them up with coupons I have already. And sometimes I go to two diff stores to get the best deals on stuff because they are so close together... oh and both double/triple coupons. Shop stores that do that.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:25 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I am a from scratch cook. Our family stays healthy with food that isn't overprocessed, it tastes better too! We also have a garden each summer.

I sew. I make all of my boys jammies. I also make some church pants and shirts. I watch the JoAnn's adds for 50% off the clearance fabrics. I also made all the window coverings in my home..except for the blinds!

We don't have a decent thrift store close by. I do a lot of my shopping online. Believe it or not, Ralph Lauren is one of my faves for the kids. A couple of times a year they do a VIP sale, giving an extra 20% off your entire purchase. I use it and shop from the clearance. I recently got 10 shirts and a pair of shoes (all big kids sizes) for $100. I like to put things into a "to grow into" box. It is nice to have a wardrobe waiting when they grow.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Check and see if your town has a restaurant supply store. Ours does. I am able to get bulk items there at a great price, cheaper than Costco. Ex. 2 gallons of milk for $3.21 Whole pork loin $1.49-$1.79 lb...I cut it into a couple of "roasts" and a couple of packs of pork chops. Last month I got a 50 lb bag of sugar for $18.99.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• i always check on-line prices in a couple of stores. there are things you simply can not cut on (like the ink to your printer). this way i know the web price, which surprisingly or not is so often much lower than the manager's of my store asks to pay. at the same i can check online if there is any good deal for refills. i have been saving as much as $3 on a single, new ink cartridge, what really sums up for all the colors I must put into my printer.
    i have my way of doing grocceries and buying other things. the simplest is to google it home or - if on the road - use my husbands i-phone on which i've installed (for free) a bunch of useful tools (for today's deals, price comparison as you bar scan the item and have it displayed, then you really can show it at the register and have prices matched. i'd say - i-phone is a really worth considering thing to buy - if you can borrow it from a friend, check it by yourself.
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I am pretty frugal. I work from home. I will be happy to be your friend and help guide you.

Here are some of my best tips:

Stop buying paper towels and napkins; use cloth.

Stop buying beverages (soda, milk, juice, etc.); drink only water.

Cut way back on, or eliminate, meat and dairy; use dried beans, lentils, rice, tofu, etc.

Feel free to contact me with any questions, or if you would like some great recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:42 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I buy next years clothes this year when they are 70 to 90% off. For example I bought my son's summer clothes a size bigger off the clearance rack. So next summer he will have 12 new outfits that I paid less then $25 for because I waited for stores to seel at the end off the season for 90% off.
    After the holidays winter clothes go on clearance and I will start buying my kids clothes for half or more and since it is Minnesota winter will last until April.
    Groceries take work....look at your local ads and coupons. Match the manufacter coupons to the store adds and the store coupons. Last week I saved more on food then I spent because of coupons and matching the sale with the coupons.
    Like Ritz crackers were on sale for $2.79, I had 2 $1.00 off coupons, I got the box for 79cents!
    At tax time we buy a half a beef and some people also buy half a pig as well. The meat is lower in price per LB. and the beef/pig was farm raised
    Anonymous

• Here are my frugal tips:

Coupons & coupon trains, BOGO sales, craigslist, Once Upon A Child, outlet shops, Goodwill, Target, Walmart, Big Lots. $1 Sunday papers @ Kroger or Dollar Tree. Cartridge World ink refills. We check gasbuddy.com and use my compact car instead of DH's truck for most driving. Conserve water & electricity. We recycle to produce less trash & split our trash fee w/neighbors. We have a discounted Y membership based on income. We grow veggies in summer. DH mows the lawn himself instead of hiring someone. Most weeks I treat myself to one Starbucks visit w/friends & Chick Fil A once or twice w/DS. I get salon haircuts & waxing (brows & upper lip) but no haircolor, tanning, body waxing or manicures. DH shaves his head @ home. DS & I do storytime @ the library, play outside, go for walks or free swim @ the Y instead of taking expensive classes.

PM me if you want another frugal mama to talk to. Best of luck!
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 1:29 AM on Nov. 29, 2009