Thrush and breastfeeding

My baby is 10 months old and I háček thrush. She doesn't have it but it's so painful. Should I stop nursing? Been to dr but it isn't healing! Suggestions?

Tarareneemakeup

Asked by Tarareneemakeup at 12:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sprinkle a powdered probiotic on your nipples before and after breastfeeding; let them air dry completely before putting them away.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Honestly if you have it, she probably has it too, but she just may not have symptoms. You need to both be treated. My youngest and I had it 3 times, the first two times we were prescribed Nystatin by the Dr, it did not work. The third time I consulted a LC and she told me to use gentian violet. Different people have different methods for how to use it. I was told to completely swab baby's mouth (gums, tongue, inside cheeks) and my nipples with it once a day for 7 days. It is messy, it will stain if you are not very careful (and even then use lots of bibs and older clothes), but it does work. It cleared it right up for us and it didn't come back. I used a q-tip to swab his mouth and then rather than swabbing my nipples I'd nurse him right away. I found it kept him from drooling as much purple all over. Oh and don't redip the same swab or it contaminates the bottle. You can find it at a pharmacy or health food store.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• canadianmom said it all, but I would also like to add that it helps to wash all clothing with vinegar while treating thrush, as well as sterilizing all bottles or pacifiers after every use if Baby takes them.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 4:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I went through 2 rounds of Nystatin from the doc and then another script and none worked and finally the pharmacist suggested Genetian Violet and that cleared it up in a week. Even if LO shows no signs of it you still need to treat them because they could be carriers and just keep reinfecting mom. Also check www.kellymom.com for other things like diet and what not that you can do to reduce your chances of getting it again.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:02 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• MAKE SURE TO THOROUGHLY CLEAN YOUR BREASTS BETWEEN FEEDING. AND ANY PACIFIERS AND TOYS. PUT IN VERY HOT WATER AND A SMALL AMOUNT OF BLEACH. LEAVE FOR 5 MINUTES. YOU CAN RINSE YOUR BABYS MOUTH WITH A MIXTURE OF WATER AND BAKING SODA. FOR SOME WEIRD REASON IT HELPS HEAL AND STOP THE SPREAD OF THRUSH. NYSTATIN WASNT STRONG ENOUGHT FOR MY SON THEY HAD TO IVE HIM MYCOSTATIN. IT IS MORE EXPENSIVE BUT STRONGER. TELL THE DR THEY NEED TO ACT ON IT FAST. BEFORE IT GOES DOWN HER THROAT OR ANALLY. BOTH YOU AND HER NEED TO EAT YOGURT DAILY. THE LIVE CULTURES FEND OFF THE YEAST. GOOD LUCK!!!
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 11:52 AM on Nov. 29, 2009