If your so/dh was very terminally ill and they asked you to kill them would you?

I am reading a Jodi Piccoult book in which the main character did the same thing. His wife was dying of cancer and he smothered her to death.

My dh said he would because that meant he would go to jail and noone would be there for the kids. I said ' What if I taped a living will or something stating that is what I wanted?" He still said no.

He then said he knew I would do it for him. He made a sarcastic comment that I would do it if he was sick or not.

sweetpea532

Asked by sweetpea532 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yes I would. I would expect the same from him. Luckily we live in a state that has legal physician assisted suicide. So if either of us were to that point, we would go the legal route . But yes, if we were not in a place where it was legal, I would help him, or do it for him. Without hesitation.  I would never want to watch my husband suffer through a terminal illness.

simplee_me

Answer by simplee_me at 12:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• If he was in pain, I would help him if he asked.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 12:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My Granmother was terminally ill and asked the same of her grandchildren. In the end, we drew straws and I got the short stick. I considered smothering her with pillow, to giving her too many of her pain meds. I'm grateful that she was already deceased when I arrived. So yes, I would do it.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 12:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• There was that one movie it had Meryl Streep in it when she asked her daughter to help her. The daughter refused so she crushed up her meds in her yougort or something. I would in a heartbeat help a relative that was hurting. I wouldn't do it for my child. I would make a DNR for a terminally ill child. But I wouldn't help them die.
    Anonymous

• No. I would end up in jail (living will or not) and your husband is right, there would be no one for the kids. Not to mention, it's a fine line and then there would be the lack of life insurance to bury and provide for the kids in the future!
    Anonymous

• Yes, I would. I wouldn't want to see him suffer any longer and I would make sure that he was not in pain any more.
    Anonymous

• I would consider it selfish to ask another to kill you and relieve your suffering, especially a loved one that is probably suffering just watching you suffer. It’s almost as selfish as committing suicide when you’re not terminally ill (or ill in any way) just because you’re miserable and leaving your dead body where your loved ones will find you, only to have them live the rest of their lives remembering you took your life rather than living it with them.

I do not however consider it selfish to consider taking your own death into your own hands when faced with the fact you have a terminal illness that is killing you. I have told my husband if I get to where I am ill enough to want death I will seek it in a way where he would not be implicated nor have anything directly to do with it... all I'd ask is he not be around during the period I seek my own methods.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 2:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Yes and my husband would do the same for me. We would do it legally though, there are medically assisted suicides for those who are terminally ill.
    Anonymous

• I would not.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Yes...haha
    Anonymous