Bed wetting and urine smell

My daughter is almost 10 and still wets the bed. We brought her to the doc who told us that we have to wait for her to out grow it...yay!
Anyway, I wash her sheets all the time and she has a plastic cover on her mattress but i can't seem to keep her room from smelling like urine. Her mattress is stain free so I don't know where it is coming from. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why not let her use those night time underwear "pull ups"

Some people would say thats embarrassing, but to me...wearing one of those is less embarrasing than peeing the bed every night.

Have you ever offered them to her?

I would be worried about her still peeing on the bed at 10 though, maybe you should seek a second opinion too.
    Anonymous

• I would do two things , first get a air neutralizer, something that will clean the smell in the air but not mask it , something that will actually neutralize it, also when possible open the window in her room to air it out a couple times a week. Not enough air circulation can make rooms retain that smell once it is in there, it is not so much coming from a place as it is the room itself. Maybe also add a febreze plug in just to help. second when you wash the bedding add vinegar and baking soda to the wash , it really does well with getting rid of the odor, I use it with pet accidents and have friends who use it with kids accidents and it works wonders.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:34 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I had this problem. It was due to my bladder not growing as fast as my body. Wash all of her clothes and linnens in bleach, air out her room. They sell pet odor remover- this works on all urine smells. Try to do it when she isn't around- it is embarassing. She isn't trying to pee her bed...
    Also, teach her how to do her own laundry. It is less embarassing if she can clean up the mess on her own.
    Anonymous

• I don't know about the smell but isn't there an alarm for that I saw it on the doctors and it worked for the kid they showed.I don;t know if you knew about it or not good luck
    Anonymous