Anyone here been diagnosed with endometrial hyperplasia - complex w/atypia?

The diagnosis was made through biopsy and now the doc wants to do a D&C w/hysteroscopy, which is all fine, but I'd like to know what kind of outcomes I can expect - both good & bad. It is my understanding that in 25-30% of the cases a malignancy is found & a hysterectomy is necessary.

If you have been diagnosed w/endometrial hyperplasia, how long ago were you dx'd & what was your treatment? Was it successful? Did you have any other complications (for ex., I have a large goiter) and did you have complications during or after treatment?

Whatever anyone is willing to share, I would be most grateful!

Thank-you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Health

• I had a complete hysterectomy after getting that biopsy result. My mother's sister died of uterine cancer. I was freaked out when I started spotting and not having regular periods when I was 47. I had the biopsy, and absolutely 100% without considering it for any amount of time said yes to the hyst. I had it shortly after turning 48. I think the thing that bothered me the most was the loss of future pregnancy/bio children. Which was kind of ridiculous (to me!) because I had so much trouble getting and staying pregnant when I was married and was at the time single for years. I had no complications afterwards, aside from an abdominal muscle sprain, probably from doing too much too soon. Check out hystersisters.com....they have tons of info on all sorts of things related to hysterectomy.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Thank you so much for sharing your story with me! I'm only 39 and the thought of having a hysterectomy just freaks me out a bit. Like you said, I wouldn't be able to have any more children of my own and that really saddens me b/c I don't feel that I'm done yet. I only have one child and I wanted to have at least one more, but with this diagnosis, I guess that just isn't going to be possible, is it? I'm going to investigate that website you posted, too. Thank you again for sharing.
    Anonymous