questions about bridesmaid dresses and wedding stuff....

im planning my wedding and my bridesmaids are all different sizes. big and small tall and short. what kind of dress would look good on everyone? i dont want them all having a different dress. please help? the wedding isnt for a while but i want everything thought through instead of rushing. my sister planned for a year and things were still very hectic. any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

mommykayti

Asked by mommykayti at 12:42 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had this same problem. I did let my girls order different dresses- but all in the same color and fabric type (from David's Bridal). I have been in a few weddings where we all wore the same dress- some girls looked great while others (myself) looked like an ugly marshmallow. If you are asking someone to spend over $100 on a dress- at least consider letting them have a say in how it looks on them.
    The photos all turned out great and, since the ladies all felt confident in their outfits, they had smiles on all day and really looked great (and like themselves).
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• bring them shopping with you and try different types on and find one they all agree on
    Domsmom2009

Answer by Domsmom2009 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I had this issue and what worked well was that I picked out dresses that had no waist line all the beading ended just below the breast and then the dress flowed so nothing was tight they had plenty of room to not feel uncomfortable, I think it was called an empire waist. All the girls loved the dresses and thanked me for not trying to stuff them into dresses that wouldn't fit well. I also picked a very neutral color that would work for everyone, my wedding colors were burgundy, a lighter shade of pink, and a pale cream so we had the girls in champagne colored dresses and the guys used burgundy as their accent color. It worked well and everyone was very happy.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• For my friends wedding, she had 2 girls who were a size 8 or so, her SIL who is tiny, tiny, tiny, and me (who was about a size 14 at that time). We all wore the same dresses...and we all looked great! Her colors were pink and green. Our dresses were pink, strapless, with an empire waist, and they were cocktail length. It was figure flattering for all of us :)
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• There is no one dress that will look good on a big girl and a small one. Everyone's shape is going to look good in something different. That's why you need to know what looks best according to your shape, or we would all be wearing the same things. I would pick a color, and have them wear the color, not the style.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I had this problem. My sister was heavy, some were thin and some were regular. I picked a dress that didn't look good on my sister. I tried to find one. It was so much stress over the stupid dress. I didn't even like what I picked. I wish I had given everyone a color and let them buy what looked good on them. It's the only thing I would have changed about my wedding.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• A-line works well on everyone. Strapless will make people with big arms look puffy. If you go strapless/ sleeveless, A shoulder wrap is a nice touch.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:51 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My girls all have the same dress (my wedding is in 12 days). They are all pretty close to the same height besides my sister who is 6 feet tall. She is also the only really skiny one. They all picked a strapless dress that is a darker color and I told them if they wanted jackets they could get them as long as they matched. Im getting married in colorado on December 10 so it will be cold lol
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• togas
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Nov. 29, 2009