Do you think this was okay for her to say?

My daughter goes to special therepy. Once a month her service counselor comes to the house. Well at this visit we gave her a letter that the genetisct sent. It basically said what her illness was and to please get off my back about my daughter walking. The nurses think she should walk by now. All rights she should be. But she has very low muscle tone and just can't. Anyways...the counselor asked if I needed help with birth control. @@

sweetpea532

Asked by sweetpea532 at 12:48 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Maybe it depends on how she worded it...but if you handed someone a letter from a geneticist stating there was a genetic problem with your daughter, she may have been wondering if you needed help with birth control because of the chance it happened again with another child? I doubt she meant anything bad by it.
    Anonymous

• why would she ask that? just out of the blue?

I would think she could respect that you're an adult that can make your own decision and are capable enough to get something as simple as birth control if you feel you need it.

I think it was a bit out of line, but it could have been innocent..just may have just been trying to be helpful

Wierd though
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Is the disorder hereditary? She probably just didn't form the words right, but was wondering if you needed info on prevention of this happening to another kiddo, by the way I think that is YOUR choice if you choose to risk it or not, sounds like you and her may not see eye to eye on a few things, is it a possiblity to get another therapist? My husband is in therapy, and I know they do get frustrated when patients don't make as much progress as they should, but sometimes it is what it is! If you are doing all of the exercises and things your supposed to be doing, hang in there, some just take longet than others,,,,don't make an issue with her, just see if you can get a new one, it is important for your daughter that her helper and you have the SAME goal, for her to get better, and in her own time frame, good luck mommy, and god bless you!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:57 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• if u have to ask if it was wrong to say, then you already know it was wrong to say.
    Anonymous

• not sure on what to say, but i do have a question. My dd 15 months and not walking or pulling up, she just recently started seeing a PT about a month ago. since then we got her walking while holding onto my hands only, she doesn't cruise on things, she still doesn't pull up (although she does try but she never gets to the standing position on her own, i have to help her) the only time she stands is if she's holding or leaning onto something. the doctors barely even looked at her, they didn't even say anything about it no matter how much i asked, they kept putting it off, until i put my foot down at 12months and they just gave me a referal to a PT...i'm wondering if i should see if there is something else wrong, or just wait and see what happens. any advice?
    Anonymous

• It took my daughter almost 6 months of therepy to even scoot around. I think your LO is doing well. But if you have any concerns don't be afraid to voice them and ask to have her reevaluated. If your mommy radar is going off about your baby...listen to it!!
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 1:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I did request a new service conselor...her supervisor was at the last visit and she is the one that suggested it. I also requested that my daughter switch classrooms. I didn't like her teachers in the room where she was. That is happening in a couple of weeks.
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 1:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• of course it was wrong of her to say. not her place at all. she should be reported.
    Anonymous

• if she isnt in the field of obgyn, it would sound judgemental, like "you shouldnt have more" or something like that... i am so sorry that some people in the medical field desite their education are so ignorant to how to interact with people! that would be something i would think about the things i should have /could have said back as a smart responce to because i would really irk me.... i had a child die of a genetic kidney syndrome. if anyone other than My ob asked about my birthcontrol i might fly off the handle.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• If someone said that to me I would be very offended. She had no right to say that and I would report it to her supervisor, and request to have her removed and someone else take over with your daughter.
    Anonymous