Toddler and new baby delima or hopefully lack there of! Please help I'm soooo nervous about this!

So I just found out that I am pregnant with my second child and I have a 2.5 year old, well, almost. Technically he's 28 months. How can I include him this early and throughout my pregnancy so that he won't be jealous of the baby? He will be 3 when he or she gets here so he will hopefully understand by then that babies need attention. I baby sat my 6 month old neice and that didn't go so well, he was really jealous and scared when she cried he would scream!!! How did you include your toddler? How is the toddler with the baby now? Thanks!

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• let your child know you are pregnant and try to explain the best you can that there is a baby in the belly, everyday talk about the baby and include him. say things like hes going to eb a big brother and he can help with the baby and have someone to play with and so on.. just pretty much include him through out the pregnancy in everything. wha helped my son was, i went to the store and had him pick out toys and stuff for the baby, went well, and he asked me everyday if the baby is ready to come out? i tell him no, and i show him how big my belly gets then she will come. hope this helps.
    Anonymous

• i just kept telling my son, who will be 25 months when the little one gets here, and mommy has a baby in her tummy. And that he is going to be a big brother! So he will have somebody to play with! And all the time i will ask him "where is baby joshua?" and he will joke around and point to his tummy! It's cute, but i ask him if he is excited to get a baby brother and he shakes his head yes. I talk about he baby all the time, and tell him that the new crib is for baby joshua, and show him joshua's clothes etc. I just make sure he is very included, and i'll let you know how it turns out in about a month when the baby gets here!
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 2:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My son was 18 months when we got pregnant. The entire pregnancy it was "his baby." We have had no issues at all. He is protective of her and is leery of others touching her. What I have tried really hard to do now that she is here is to not put too much on him. I ask him if he wants to help with anything, but I don't often ask him to do things for her. I try to make sure she is fun and loving for him, not a "responsibility" or someone who takes mom away.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:04 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• well, i told my daughter what was going on. then i let her choose baby stuff for the room, clothes and such. we also got her a book that tlked about being a big sister and how cool it is. and now they are 2 and 4 and they get along great
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 4:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2009