how long did you breastfeed?

im not bashing ANY mother, because only you know what's right for you and your baby, but i just think its kinda weird to see a 3 year old still breastfeeding.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I solely BF my DD for about 6 weeks, but wasn't producing enough milk so I started supplementing w. formula at that time. Then stopped both at 1 year.
    Anonymous

• Not long enough. 5 months with the first, 6 weeks or less with the others (partially due to lack of information, especially with my last one).
    Anonymous

• 9 months with the first child, 4 months with baby#2, 10 months with baby #3, and having been nursing baby #4 for 9 plus months.
    A.Day

Answer by A.Day at 2:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My daughter self-weaned at 23 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• First off, I will say that I had major supply issues which led to how long I breastfed each of my children.

DS#1~2 1/2-3 mths
    DS#2~6 mths
    DS#3~2-3 wks
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Baby #1 - 2 1/2 months - I could have gone longer if I'd been more educated about bf'ing, but he started to prefer the bottle over the breast and I didn't know enough to get him back on the breast

Baby #2 - a little over 6 months, that was my goal and I made it

Baby #3 - just over a year
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My daughter self weaned at 15 months. My son turns 1 in a couple of weeks and I will continue to nurse him as long as he wants.
    I have run the gambit when it comes to breastfeeding problems - from oversupply and overactive let down with my daughter, to needing to increase my supply and stimulate my let down with my son. It takes support and education, but if you are blessed with these, then extended breastfeeding is a wonderful possibility.
    As far as 3 year old nursing - - why do we have such a hang up about that in our culture? It is completely natural and normal for children this age to still be nursing in many other parts of the world. It is good for the kids and the moms, and yet we see toddlers nursing and cringe. Very sad.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My first son is still nursing occasionally at 34 months and my second son is almost 10 months. Don't know when they'll be done.
    heydooney

Answer by heydooney at 3:42 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• DD 13 and a half mos. DS is 27 months and still nurses.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• DD's 19m and down to once a day. I'd like to make it to 2 years (like the world health organization recommends) If she wanted to I'd go up to 2.5-3 max, but I think we'll be lucky to make it to 2 at this point, she's just not that into it lately.

3 only seems weird to you because of the culture we live in. The world wide AVERAGE age of weaning is 4 years old!

I found this article very interesting as well: http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 3:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2009