Do you think it's cruel to try to train a child for nights before s/he is waking up dry on his or her own?

I'm a firm believer in helping kids along in achieving their goals and my daughter trained for daytime pretty young -- we just said no more diapers while you're awake, and she rose to the task. But I'm torn about nighttime. She's been trained for a long time and isn't waking up dry. Is it worth trying to help her (there are methods people suggest on here) or is it cruel to put them through the accidents and things for something they're not conscious of? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it is cruel to put YOURSELF through it! Honestly they have little bladders, and other than depriving them of liquids for a few hours-not good for the body, there is NO way it will happen any faster, just take a deep breath mom, give yourself a pat on the back for having her potty trained, and one day pretty soon she will begin to wake up dry! God bless, and happy sleeping, not fretting over the wet sheets-LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:16 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I've been wondering about this, too, because my daughter still wakes up wet for naps and nighttime, but she's so good at learning new things (lol). A friend of mine just took away diapers at night and dealt with a few accidents at night and all turned out well. My daughter pees consciously in her pull-up at nap time, because it's wet even when she hasn't slept. so that kind of makes me want to push the issue a little bit... I would never deprive her of liquids, though, that can't be healthy.
    Anonymous

• If you put a pull up on her or a diaper at night she will never learn. It absorbs it so quick she probably doesn't even feel she is wet. Its a huge mistake parents make these days. Buy a pair of plastic pants that go on over the panties at night from Walmart and when she wets herself at night it will wake her up and she'll start learning to wake herself up when she can tell shes doing it.
    Anonymous

• Posted earlier, and all I can say is been there with the plastic pants done that! I have over 14 brothers and sisters, I am the oldest, trust me, your asking for headache AT night! But 1st poster should try it for nap time for her little one!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Mine was in diapers at night until four, then training pants with plastic covers. They are ready when they are ready.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:43 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I kept mine in diapers at night til they woke up dry multiple days in a row. If she's doing fine during the day, and knows what the potty is for, etc, then jus keep up with what you're doing. 2 of mine were in diapers at night til they were right around 4, and had no problems with it. It was a lot better than messing with pants & covers let me tell you! I have one more child to go, and he'll be the same way - day trained, then night trained according to his body's cues. Because yes, I think it's cruel to withold liquids, and to force them to lay in their own pee, etc, to get them night trained, not to mention very un-sanitary and gross.
    Anonymous

• I share a bed with my 5 yr old and kept the pull ups on at night until my 5yr old stayed dry overnight. After the pullups were staying dry I kept them off and there has only been one accident and I cut off liquids 2 hours before bed. I do have 3 ounce dixie cups for a sip of water if need be and that won't hurt anything.
    Anonymous

• I think she'll be the one training her bladder, LOL! It will eventually happen. We tried to potty train our 2 y/o boy a couple of months ago and put him in underwear at night just expecting to do laundry every day, however, we did not know that the wetting himself would upset his sleep so much. Even though I changed the sheets, the sleep disruption was too much to deal with. We'll try again later. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• They will train at night when they are ready. Forcing them to do it, is cruel, IMO. Wearing pull ups at night is not going to stop her from her training at night. My first dd used them for about 2 months and then started staying dry. My younger dd is 4 and still wears them at night, she is a heavy sleeper and just doesn't wake up. Why would I make her sleep in pee just because I think it is time. She will do it when she is ready, I would not force her.
    Anonymous

• Here's what I did. We stopped giving our DD drinks after 6 pm. As long as she is not dying, there is no need for her to be drink anything. Also, we did not give her anything to drink in the middle of the night. I still do this. On occasion, I will give them a sip of water, but for the most part, they don't wake up. Next, keep giving her pull-ups. She will eventually figure it out. Just when you think all hope is lost, she will get it. That is how both of mine potty trained. They just got it. If you stress too much over it, you might stress her out. This can back fire and she can start to have more and more accidents, even during the day, or she will start to hold it in which will only hurt her in the long run. Just be patient and know, that she will get it.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 7:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2009