Would you pay for this?

Would you pay for car insurance that covered oil changes, windshield wiper blades, car washes and detailing and air fresheners to hang from the mirror? Would you pay for it if it cost you double or triple what you pay now for comprehensive coverage?

Because that is what people are expecting from health insurance - they want it to cover EVERYTHING, to the point that we pay thousands of dollars in premiums every year to cover a few hundred dollars in actual expenses. All this on the off chance that maybe, before we die, we will need surgery.

Would you pay thousands of dollars a year to not have to buy wiper fluid out of pocket, and if not, do you support the idea of "full coverage" insurance that is essentially the same thing for people instead of cars?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• NP isn't lying -- she illustrated a perfect example of how people really treat their insurance company. My husband uses the same example all the time. People demand that their insurance cover EVERY little expense that might occur instead of just paying out of pocket. All any health insurance is, is a warped way of "saving" money for a rainy day....when all actuality, you may never need it. Any person can accomplish the same thing by opening a savings account and put the same amount they are paying for premiums into that account -- and only use it for catastrophic expenses OR minor expenses. It's the same concept.
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 5:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• 2 different things. We personally have lifetime oil change & tires rotation from our local Jeep dealer. Same us you taking care of your body you need to do the same with your car every 3 months.
    Not everybody wants to be covered with everything.We have great insurance what is not covering dental. It is just fine for our family.
    Anonymous

• Well, no. An oil change costs me 12 out of pocket. My insurance is 150 a month, and my oil needs to be changed every three months or so. Detailing is free for us, dh used to that for a living. Under this logic I'd be paying agrand or more for 20 bucks worth of stuiff.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I'll tell you what people want. They want to be able to pay for health care without going bankrupt or losing their house. There is no comparison between people's health and an an oil change.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Under this logic I'd be paying agrand or more for 20 bucks worth of stuiff.

Kind of like you do when you pay $1200/mo for 3 doctor visits a year that total about $300 and maybe a $20 prescription for generic amoxacillan?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• There is no comparison between people's health and an an oil change.

No, there is. When we had insurance, we essentially paid $2040 per doctor visit. We had a monthly premium, and we never needed the insurance. If we'd paid the doctor out of pocket, those expenses would've amounted to a whopping $240. Total. For the entire year. Insurance is so expensive only because we want it to pay for EVERYTHING. We want it to pay for $20 prescriptions and $50 office visits, so much so that we pay hundreds or even a thousand a month to avoid paying that $20 or $50 out of our own pockets. Where is the logic in that?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:40 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• No, we don't even buy extended warrantees because my hubby is a good mechanic, and we just set aside money every month for car repairs and maintenance - which is way cheaper than the warrantees.

I guess you would call what we do with cars similar to folks who choose health savings accounts over insurance.

I think it's fine if people really feel like they can't change their own oil to get big warrantees, but we should be free to choose not to get those warrantees - and not be a criminal for passing on them.

....just like people should be free to choose just a simple health savings accounts if that's what they want.
    Anonymous

• NP, you are exactly right!

We never had insurance when I was a kid. If we got sick we went to the doctor and Mom paid for it..ditto with the precriptions. I broke my ankle in 3 places when I was in 7th grade, it didn't bankrupt us. I didn't have insurance until I was grown, my first policy was a catastrophic policy that would have helped pay for a car accident or cancer type thing.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Very interesting point. There are a few flaws in that the things you mentioned covering in auto insurance would never cost as much as say having a baby, but I do get your point. I recently saw a show on TV where a hotel owner had doctors/nurses on HIS staff to care for his employees rather than buy insurance coverage for them. It was cheaper for him to actually employ these medical professionals than pay an insurance company for the same services. He even had some type of provision where he would pay a set amount towards care for issues the doctors and nurses on staff could not provide such as certain surgeries. It was a total eye opener to learn this method was cost effective!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Its called insurance for a reason- to insure that you get the care you need IN CASE you need it. Otherwise it would be called Assurance.
    Anonymous