Gays and the bible....

Below is something we discussed recently in a bible study. What are your thoughts?

Leviticus 18:6 reads: "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female. It is an abomination." A similar verse occurs two chapters later, in Leviticus 20:13: "A man who sleeps with another man is an abomination and should be executed." On the surface, these words could leave you feeling rather uneasy, especially if you are gay.

Leviticus is a holiness code written 3,000 years ago. This code includes many of the outdated sexual laws . It also includes prohibitions against round haircuts, tattoos, working on the Sabbath, wearing garments of mixed fabrics, eating pork or shellfish, getting your fortune told, and even playing with the skin of a pig. (There goes football!) Jesus and Paul both said the holiness code in Leviticus does not pertain to Christian believer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• not living your life as a lie to apeace society

The key word is society, not God. I have read quite a bit that leads me to believe that God does not believe being gay is a sin. I concede that there are many interpretations of God's word by man which say it is, but I do believe these to be based on what they want to read or hear not as it was intended. I feel that people can twist Gods word to justify the fact they just plain do not like gays.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Oh boy! What about lesbians? I believe good is good, and gay, tatoos, pork eating, or not God knows where the good people and who they are!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:22 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• WEATHER YOUR A GOOD PERSON OR A BAD PERSON I STILL BELIEVE IT IS A SIN JUST LIKE IT SAYS. I ALSO BELIEVE THAT NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO OR HOW YOU FEEL YOU ALWAYS HAVE A CHOICE. YOU CAN CHOOSE TO LIVE IN SIN OR YOU CAN CHOOSE NOT TO. ITS YOUR CHOICE. I WILL NOT JUDGE A PERSON BECAUSE IT IS NO MY PLACE THOUGH. WE WILL ALL HAVE A JUDGEMENT DAY.

Anonymous

• my thoughts are we should get over the gay bullshit...and worry about other things such as rape,murder,drugs...umm what your making for dinner tonight! seriously?an abomination!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 3:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• There are also translation issues concerning the sex acts mentioned in Leviticus, too. Unfortunately (though many many christians cite thisparticular passage as why homosexuality is such an abomination, Paul also makes mention of it in the NT. But I personally think Paul was so in the closet, anyway.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• You know had to come back to this, I bet half of the gay bashers eat "cloven hoof" animals, cracks me up how we pick and choose the verses in the bible that give us satisfaction to hate!
    Anonymous

• I believe those who injure. kill or even hate Gays in the name of religion will have some explaining to do come Judgment Day.

Here is an example from the bible that if taken on its face means rape victims who were not married at the time and who were virgins at the time can not marry or they risk being stoned to death. It is interesting to me that people can cite one part of the bible on sex and ignore other passages.
    DEUTERONOMY 22:13-21
    If it is discovered that a bride is not a virgin, the Bible demands that she be executed by stoning immediately.
    Anonymous

• ANON 326- what about this part where Jesus says the code does not apply to believers- is it still a sin?

Jesus and Paul both said the holiness code in Leviticus does not pertain to Christian believer.
    Anonymous

• I wonder how many people break this part of the code?

wearing garments of mixed fabrics

I agree, we can not pick and choose... I believe the code to be written for its times and can not be used to bash gays or as a reason to believe God hates Gays.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• God hates Gay and Football- who knew!
    Anonymous