painful nipples

Dd is almost 4 months old and my nipples have been so sore lately. The best way to describe the pain is that it feels I'm giving birth through my nipples. Then my nipples are sore for about an hour after feeding. The nice thing though is that she's only feeding 3-4 times per day for about 10 min. Could it be because she's so hungry and sucking to get the milk out so hard and its coming out so fast? I have seen a few people in the hospital who said the latch looked good so I would think its not that. Any suggestions? Should I try to feed her more often? Right now I let her feed on demand. When she gets fussy I feed her. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like thrush. Check out this link on how to determine if it's thrush and what you can do to make it better: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/thrush-resources.html

And she's only eating 3-4 times over 24 hours? I know right now feeding more doesn't sound like any fun.... but you may want to try and feed her more. She should really be nursing at least 6-8 times over 24 hours. How many diapers is she making everyday?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:38 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• She's nursing about 4 times through the nightand there's no redness on the nipples. Dd just got over a vag yeast infection and now has little white spots on her lips but not her cheeks
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 3:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Ditto everything LeanneC said.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 3:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Definitely thrush, most likely caused by the yeast infection. Go pick up some Gentian Violet and use that, it should clear up within a few days. Be sure to treat yourself and the baby but swabbing it on your nipples with a clean q-tip as well as in baby's mouth. Sterilize any bottles or pacifiers if she takes them, and wash all clothing or towels with vinegar. If you need anymore info, PM me. After all of the bouts of thrush DD and I have had, I am an expert! LOL!
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 3:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Oh, okay... 3-4 times during the day and 4 times overnight? Perfect then, she's perfect... just gotta get rid of the thrush!
    Gentian violet is a good option like Armymom suggested... I would also suggest starting her and yourself on some probiotics. Just break open a capsule and give her a fingertips worth and take a regular dose for yourself. You can also put it directly on your nipples and it will help.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 4:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2009