Natural Birth questions?

I really want a natural birth with no epidural im more afraid of the needle then the pain from labor? Have you felt like this before giving birth if so did you give in to the epidural or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Look for the group on here called 'birth is normal', you'll find lots of into on natural birth and how to go about it.
    Anonymous

• I feel/felt the same way as you it's really not as bad as it seems( it does flipping hurt I wont lie) I ended up taking childbirth /lamaze classes at the hospital and it seemed to help a lot plus my DH kept me laughing the whole time when I was in labor (not a easy feat)make sure you have someone with you that is reallyt really supportive and attentive you your needs, Good Luck. =)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:57 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I felt the same way. I also didn't really care for the idea of people asking me while I was in labor if I wanted something for "the pain." So I had a midwife and a birth center birth. My second was a homebirth.
    I agree with joining Birth is Normal and with liss05 about taking classes. Hynobirthing (or hynobabies, can't remember for sure) or the Bradley method I have heard good things about. Support is key. If your husband is not going to support you having a natural birth, then hire a doula (which you should anyway!) or have a supportive friend.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 4:09 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Classes are wonderful!! I was actually planning on using all the drugs I could get my hands on until I took a childbirth class. . . . LOL I had my daughter with no pain meds and it was great!
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Its not that bad going natural. Although i went natural by accident. lol. I went to the hospital becasue i was having bad pains that felt like contractions. but they were only pressure from the baby pushing down into position. when i got to the hospital, i was 2 cm. they told me to walk around the L&D floor and drink water. Then i sat down because i was tired of walking. when i got up, my water broke. they put me on the montior and checked me and i was 4 cm. about a half hour later, i was fully and they couldnt give me any meds. but it wasnt that bad. maybe because it went so fast. lol YOU CAN DO IT!
    Anonymous

• Well, when I had my first baby I had thought I wanted to do it naturally but I felt it was incredibly painful and overwhelming and I found that I really, really wanted something...anything I could get....for the pain. I didn't get an epidural and I was not thrilled about that! I promised myself that I would take advantage of pain relief the next time I had a baby. Just knowing that there was something available that could take the pain away and not taking advantage of it didn't seem logical to me. When I had the epidural during the second labor I can honestly say that I didn't feel the needle and the pain relief was great. If you are really committed to a natural birth on philosophical grounds that is one thing, but the pain of the needle is NOTHING compared to the pain of labor. And, labor can last a long time....and when those waves of contractions just keep coming at you mercilessly....a needle can take all the pain away.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:34 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• It is definately not an easy thing to do, but YOU CAN DO IT!! I have never been good with pain and my mom thought I was absolutely crazy when I decided on a Midwife (because she knows i am such a wimp) btw, my mom had all 6 of hers w/o an epidural. I did deliver all 3 of mine without it and I plan on doing it again in February! Honestly, the needle scares me more than anything LoL I do think the key to my success is the Jacuzzi tub!!!! I dont know if I could have done it without it. Just make sure you have someone who is supportive to be there, wether it be the father or a doula or midwife. My midwife was great and stayed with me the whole time! It is all worth it in the end because it is amazing how you feel after the baby is born, the pain is gone and you feel so strong <3
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 6:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• The side effects of the epidural can last more than a year. Keep your body in great shape, and birth will be fine!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Educate yourself so you know what to expect. Take classes, read books, join groups, etc., just educate yourself. I was induced for my first pregnancy (medical reasons) and had no clue what to expect. No one on the medical staff was any help to me either so it was the most painful and frightening experience of my life. I'm about to give birth to my third and plan on a natural (VBAC) birth this time. Knowing now what I didn't know then I feel that I'm much better prepared to go for a natural child birth. So, my advice, educate yourself.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 28, 2009