daycare problems

my daughter is 6 months old. shes never had any type of problems with anyone. she loves all strangers and never cries when anyone holds her. shes been in daycare since she was 2 months old. shes had the same person taking care of her until recently. now my daughter hates the new daycare worker and screams everytime she sees her.... i dont know if shes mistreating her or what...theres no physical sign that shes doing anything but what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Something is wrong - I would ask the other parents if their children have the same reaction to her.
    I would check this out - if she's usually okay with anyone then this might mean she has a reason to be upset when she sees this woman.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like the age. Most children go through stranger anxiety and seperation anxiety at this age. If you would feel more comfortable, I would recommend showng up without notice one day to observe, but I have a feeling it is just normal behavior for her age.
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 3:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• is it just when she is with this woman or is she starting to be uncomfortable with more and more strangers? If your answer is just this woman something is wrong. If your noticing it with other people as well then it is the age. Also what is your gut saying? Do you have a 6th sense something is off with this woman? IF you do then there probably is.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• There are many possibilities here.She has reached the age of separation anxiety.It is common for children that age to recognize that you are leaving and they are staying.They also are recognizing who strangers are and are feeling uncomfortable.I have one baby that was her age that was comfortable with me but cried every time her Grandma talked to her.It wasn't every stranger that set her off.Now with that said, you need to have a conversation with your child's provider.I am assuming this is a center with the description you gave.There are a lot of people around, coming and going, helping and watching.If they are a quality program they will not be offended when you approach the subject.Please be up front.Let them know you are worried.They will help you.Does your baby cry all day or just at drop off time?Is she exhausted, puffy face, distraught, does she eat ok during the day?If there are problems, there will be signs.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Move daycares, what happened to the old one? If she is happy around everyone except for this person HELLO mommy you know you gut is telling you something is way off!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I guess you do have to consider if she is reacting to this person, or if she is just becoming more aware of herself and her surroundings and moving into the stranger anxiety phase. Babies develop stranger anxiety as they get older....so it could just be the timing.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Are there other teachers or is this a home day care? My first thought would be separation anxiety. If there are other teachers, is it the same response with each one or is he familiar with the other teachers?
    Anonymous

• i AGREE WITH ANON 3:52 AND ANON 4:36 . sEE IF ITS JUST THAT ONE HEALTH CARE PROVIDER OR EVERYBODY. aND IF ITS JUST THAT ONE , ASK OTHER MOMS ,IF THEIR CHILD FEELS THE SAME WAY ABOUT THAT DAY CARE PROVIDER AS YOUR CHILD DOES, IF NOT MAYBE ITS JUST THAT SEPARATION ANXIETY.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 6:52 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• There is not necessarily something wrong. It is normal around that age for babies to get stranger anxiety. Or just anxiety about mommy leaving.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2009