MY 3yr old son is mean to his toys

My 3 yr old just had his birthday and got a bunch of new toys but he is mean to them. at first he would play really nice but now he likes to throw, stomp them, make the dino's fight etc..... of course i do what every mom should so in this situation, and take them away. But i'm wondering why my barely 3 yr old is turning into this monster. i think 3 is way worse then 2. thats not all...... in time out he kicks walls and screams. I'm staying strong and not giving in! any other suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would call it destructive not mean.  I would really re-think about getting him some toys for Christmas until he learn to appreciate what he has.

Anonymous

• I always thought that three years old was when the trouble really started, rather than two (as in terrible two's). I noticed that my son (who is now 12) ALWAYS played games that involved "battles". If I gave my kids a box of crayons and some paper, they would color for a while but then start playing games with the crayons. My daughter would play "family" with the crayons...while my son would set up battles between the crayons. So, personally, I think that if your son wants to act out this type of thing by have his dinosaurs fight that is okay. If he is destroying his toys that is a different matter. But he may be crashing them in another form of "battle" and that would be okay too. I think boys especially need this type of play sometimes. If he is NICE to actual people, let him play with his toys the way he wants to. If he is mean and hostile towards people, then you have an issue to look at!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 4:20 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Alot of boys are like that, my son does not have any toys, why because everything he gets.. he takes it apart. When he was younger he would crash everything he had into themselves. Crashing, tumbling, throwing, dropping, and taking them apart is my son and has been for a very long time. How did I deal with it, warn everyone not to buy him expensive toys. He would take the wheels off his match box cars and keep them in a box. This is how he plays, his mind wants to know how things work and to figure that out well he had to take it apart lol... As far as time out, that should be a quiet zone and until he is quiet his time does not start. Move his chair away from the wall will help with that, but let him know he did this and now must go to time out and as long as he is kicking and screaming the time does not start. You may have to put him back 100 times but do it and dont speak to him, just remind him about the time...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Take them away!!!!!!!! If he can't play nicely, he doesn't get to play with any of them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• dID YOU ASK HIM WHY HE TREATS HIS TOYS LIKE THAT. who tought him to play with his toys like that? tell him thats not the way to treat his toys. he should treat his toys better. show him how to do it. and tell him if he cant treat his toys better he wont be able to play with them anymore until he does.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2009