How do I go about finding out my family tree without having to pay a fortune?

mominbolt

Asked by mominbolt at 4:07 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I recently found out a lot for my mother just by calling the cemeteries. She wanted to know more about her mother's father. She knew his name and where he was buried. I found out that he had remarried at some point and that his parents were also buried at the same cemetery he was. If you live in the area you can just visit the office if its an active cemetery. If its not, talk to the city officials they can tell you who is in charge and who holds the records most times. Families usually use the same ones a lot. My mom also found out a lot by going to the actual website for the local newspaper and looking up obituaries. They will tell you about the person's decendents, parents, siblings, etc. Also a lot of libraries have a local archives room. They also keep most of the old newspapers on mirofiche. If you don't live local, enlist help or see if the librarian can look up the information for you.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 1:10 AM on Dec. 2, 2009