What do you do with a baby you babysit who is 9 months old that cries all the time!?!?

He usually always cries if you walk past him or go to the bathroom or go cook dinner. I am at my wits end and would love some input!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• all you can really do is try to keep him occupied and play with him when you can. He wants attention and to be held all the time, not much you can do unless you want to try and lug him around all day.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• You need a baby carrier, carry in front or on the back, or just put his swing, bouncer, playpen in the kitchen.
    Jaha

Answer by Jaha at 4:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I'm in the same situation. I've got an 8 month old I watch twice a week that is the same way. He wants me in the same room with him constantly. That's impossible though. I just have to let him cry. His parents know I do it. He has to scream himself to sleep almost everytime I put him down too.

And this kid can scream! I have to tell all of my other parents that if they hear him crying that I am not beating him, starving him, or leaving him alone for hours at a time......they laugh, but that's how he cries. It sounds like I'm harming the kid. He doesn't even have to work up to it. He goes from 0-500! LOL~!

Good luck. I'm also at my wits end. I'm praying he just out grows it eventually!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Yep, they don't want to be left alone in a room? I have the same thing. They go through that. Can you let him out and crawl around so he is mobile and can have control of his location? Bathroom breaks are no longer private. Bring them with you and sit them on the floor. While you are cooking sit them in a high chair in a safe location with toys on the tray or cheerios to play with. Give them something to do. It is a sage in their development and it too shall pass. Let them know they are safe and keep them busy. I am not an advocate of children watching a lot of television but if you need a short distraction, a little of that goes a long way too. At 9 months they love color, action and lots of music if you have choices there.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• THE SDWING WORKED WONDERS FOR ME. AND EVEN THE WALKER. HE WAS BUSY WITH THAT . IT HAD SO MUCH THINGS ON IT . TO FIGURE OUT. MY SWING HAD MUSIC AND A FEW LITTLE THINGS ON IT TO KEEP THE BABY ENTERTAINED.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 6:45 PM on Nov. 28, 2009