NEWBORN Q : Will milk still come in strong if im bottle feeding too?

We just had our baby girl on the 25th, i started her off on the breast right after birth, and have been alternanting between breast and bottle. Our 22 mo only had breast for the first yr, and never took bottle. i wanted to get the best of both worlds. Now my husband is able to take part in feedings as well, wich is great, but i really don't wanna lose my milk supply. I also noticed that im not engorged like crazy...like last time...when i breastfed , my milk came in on day 4, with rock solid breasts. my milk is there now, just not as full and uncomfortable as last time....i was kinda looking for that over engorged feeling....will this happen? will i lose my milk if i dont breastfeed every 2 hours or so?

guitarmom101

Asked by guitarmom101 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I assume you are pumping while your husband is feeding with the bottle. this way you will be making as much milk as your baby is taking in. you may have to do an extra pumping session to stay ahead of the demand as the baby starts to want more. I breast feed and pumped with no problems and my supply was fine. Remeber everyone of us moms is different. if you feel your supply isn't good enough stick to strickly breast for awhile.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 6:08 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• You won't make as much milk, since breastfeeding is a supply and demand process.  I  know that if you want a decent supply that it is suggested to not offer a bottle for the first 6 weeks. If you realyl want to breastfeed you may want to hold off on the bottles for a little while to make sure that your supply will be good.

Anonymous

• You may not make as much milk if you are supplementing, since breastmilk is based on supply and demand. Usually its recommendedto wait until baby is about 3-4 weeks old before introducing a bottle to avoid nipple confusion and to help establish your milk supply. I would consider trying to exclusively breastfeed until then.  You could consider pumping if you want your husband to be able to share feedings, yet not interfere w/ your milk supply.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 28, 2009