How can I best deal with comments about my not wearing a bra(short of actually wearing one)?

I've never worn a bra;I have a couple of teen children(one daughter,one son);my daughter also has never worn a bra.I have a 36-inch bust;my daughter has a 34-inch bust at this point

GIRL_ROBYN

Asked by GIRL_ROBYN at 5:43 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• At least an undershirt or sports bra would be approriate.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 5:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I hate wearing bras but if I go out in public I force myself to wear them. Sometimes around the house (if someone is around) I will throw on a tube top under my top. That's as close as I can get to not actually wearing one. As for what others say, you can ignore them but depending on your cup size, they may be telling you that you don't look your best without one. I've settled sometimes for a sports bra but the tube top under my clothes keeps me from flopping around. It's your life and if you don't care what others think than tell them to mind their own business. My dd won't wear one at home but I've asked her to stop going without one. She's a 44 DD and she has a teen son. That's just not right in my eyes so I hope she's stopped doing that. Being comfortable is fine but offending others (and common decency in her case) is also something we sometimes need to take into consideration.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:53 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• What sort of comments, and why are you acting surprised? A bra is a proper undergarment in our culture. If you're out there, nipples showing, flopping around then I think you either need to put on a bra or turn a deaf ear to the comments.
    Anonymous

• wear one. sorry its ...kinda gross not to.
    Anonymous

• No offense but not only is it horible for your girls, but it is just plain offensive to not wear one in public.
    shymom24

Answer by shymom24 at 7:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Ignore them. It's your body, your choice.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 11:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• It is kinda gross to not wear a bra at least in public. Also not supporting the girls can lead to back problems.
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Before corsets and bras, women flopped around freely and comfortably. Sure, I wear a sports bra to work and if I go to a meeting at the kids school and for any place it would be deemed inappropriate not to wear one like church. Pointy nipples would definitely be inappropriate at work, but at home or just walking to the corner store for a gallon of milk, I want to be nice and comfy. It's my body and I could careless what someone says.
    acrogodess

Answer by acrogodess at 1:56 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• What on earth is "gross" about not wearing a bra? How is that gross?! It may not look flattering, but if your day to day desire doesn't include flattering anyone, then who cares? I have a D cup situation and I hate bras. In college, I never wore them. After my baby, I do wear them occasionally but I prefer a camisole with a built in bra because it's more comfortable.
    As for the question at hand - how can you best deal with comments about your braless ways - I suppose you can let it roll off your strapless back? No one ever made comments to me but if they did, I would've ignored them.
    Audreying

Answer by Audreying at 4:16 AM on Nov. 29, 2009

• You never said your cup size? I mean if you are like an A or B cup that's not a big deal...in public I would wear at least a sports bra just because you never know what could happen. I mean if you have like DDs and up, then maybe you should consider a sports bra. People are noticing and commenting? So I would imagine you are large breasted. I would wear a sports bra...you don't want to have the embarassment of one of the girls falling out in public.

I wear a 38F and I feel rather uncomfortable without a bra. I don't like the feeling of them bouncing around all over and OMG what if I fall and my shirt goes up?
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 5:03 AM on Nov. 29, 2009