How long can a baby/child go without ever eating real food and eating only breastmilk (ie exclusively breastfed)?

When is it no longer complete nutrition?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• The World Health Organization (WHO) and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) both recommend exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of life and then supplemented breastfeeding for at least one year and up to two years or more.
    Anonymous

• Once they are able to eat a full diet of table foods, it is no longer needed for nutrition. It's different for each kid, some earlier and some later.
    Anonymous

• A child does not NEED solids for the first year of life. Typically a child will want to begin solids shortly after that first year if not sooner. However, if there is a strong family history of food allergies, a lot of moms are encouraged to exclusively breastfeed for two years with no solids in order to prevent food allergies. Breast milk is contantly changing to fully meet a child's nutrition needs. Our bodies are amazing!
    ArmyMom2oneboy

Answer by ArmyMom2oneboy at 7:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Are you a mother or an udder? You take the child's bottle away at a year old, right? That's when you should stop nursing them.
    Anonymous

• It's not forever complete nutrition...otherwise we would still be eating our mom's boob into adulthood!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:20 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• My 2nd had (and has) severe allergies - he refused to eat, and believe me, we tried!!! He was exclusively breastfed until he was 14 months old - he was put in his chair at every meal and snacks and I always gave him a variety of things but he hardly ate anything - the only things he would eat were watermelon and pear spears. We went through a lot of those...and he was (and is) healthy except for the allergies and asthma. My DH (and our doctors) all believe that if he had not been breastfed, he would not have grown out of alot of his allergies and been able to thrive the way he did. I am proud of myself for persevering and it was not fun or easy. BTW, the first real meal he ate was chicken curry off my plate at 14 months...
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 8:39 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• what is wrong with you people? and someone said that breastfeeding moms were judgmental.... You do know that this focus on formula is a consumer-driven one, right? So step right up, ladies and keep all those men in suits filthy rich. They've convinced you all that breastfeeding is not necessary or natural and you've all sucked it up - just like babies at the boob LOL
    Anonymous

• Solids fed to babies the first year are for the experience of eating, not nutrition. There is great information here: www.babyledweaning.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:27 PM on Nov. 28, 2009