Would you accept charity from a religion other than your own if you were in need?

If the electric, rent, etc was past due and another religious organization had a program that gave money for these things would you apply? I mean complete different religion, not just a different denomination. Like Christian-Muslim, Muslim-Athiest, etc...

Keep in mind the organization was giving out the money in the name of their creator.

GDIMOM

Asked by GDIMOM at 5:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would think that I would. They are truely caring people and are still willing to share, even though you do not share their religious views. Its not like they are saying "but only if you convert tomy church". They are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. They seem to respect you having your own beliefs. If the money or help is that needed, take all the help you can get. It is there for a reason. Hope this helped, and GL :)
    xomommy25

Answer by xomommy25 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Yes and at one time while a single mother, did.... I was never asked my religious beliefs...nor was I preached too...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:03 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Yes, because at that point its about my family...my children and not my pride.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:13 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Yes I would. They would still receive the blessing for helping.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Depends...would I be required to convert?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• As salamu alaikum sis.. if you are asking for yourself then you should search into what the scholars say regarding this. I will say that Allah has made it obligatory upon the muslim to help his brother/sister. And even his neigbhor whether muslim or not so from an islamic point of view we should help those who are in need regardless of belief system. However because your question included that those organizations do it in the name of a God (which may or may not be the creator)... im not sure .. would be very interested in the answer ... perhaps you can ask Proud she may know.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 6:59 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I have, and would again, if I really needed to. I never converted to anything, and in fact, didn't even listen to their preaching. I thanked them for the help, and offered to donate some of our old things to their church for helping us. It really shouldn't matter
    what the religion is if you're in danger of being on the street, or without heat or lights.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 7:13 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• This is not personal just wondering. I think many do give in hopes to convert or shed a nice light on their religion. I have heard of people converting to another religion because of this. Sorta bought their faith. But, this question is just in general and not that you are required to convert.
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 7:31 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• i don't think that people giving in charity is buying them to convert. Subhan Allah. our prophet, gave much in charity and we are commanded by him to do good acts of worship and if it happens to convert someone Alhamdullaih. But charity does not convert anyone.. even if they think it does.. it is Allah who guides and misguides.

Giving in hopes of someone Accepting the Creator is a praise worthy thing.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 7:37 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Yes I would. For the same reasons that I give to religious charities that are run by religions other than my own. Your religion should have nothing to do with charity. If you are in need, you are in need... Period. I don't care who you pray to Charities are set up to help, not to hinder.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2009