I refuse to tell my family that I smoke, and its getting a little ridiculous...

I've smoked cigarettes for about 8 yrs, since I was 16. My mom smokes, my dad used to smoke, and my sister smokes. But my parents think I quit - I hid my smoking from them till I was 21, then I got pregnant and quit. But after I stopped BFing, I started again, and never told them. I was ashamed, I guess, and got back into my old habits of hiding it from them. It feels silly to hide it from them, and here's the kicker - I LIVE w/ them. I have to smoke when they aren't home, or are asleep. I don't smoke a lot - maybe ten a day - but like I said, it feels silly to hide it. I just don't know how to bring it up, and I still have lingering fears of lectures, like I got the first time they found out. Any advice on how to be honest about it? Oh, and before the bashing starts - no one smokes in the house, or near my son. Just to be clear.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You should move out.
    Anonymous

• If you moved out, you wouldn't have to worry what they think.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:56 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• OP - I am trying to move out. But we are waiting till DH gets a promotion and transferred - we can't rent a place b/c he will be transferred and a lease would interfere w/ that.
    Anonymous

• I bet they can smell it on you anyway! They probably aren't saying anything because they don't really care what you do!
    Anonymous

• 10 cigs is still a lot, I smoke maybe 5 or less a day, and I don't have to hide it from anyone. Where do you hide the butts? How do you make sure your hair and hands and clothes don't smell? I agree with above, they probably know already.
    Anonymous

• You're a grown woman. I never understand why ppl try to hide it anyway. Your family may smell it or maybe not since they're smokers too. Either way, you shouldn't let what your family thinks stop you from telling them. What are you afraid of anyway? They're all smokers. What would they really care?
    Anonymous

• They know. You can't hide that. My mom has never ever smoked in front of my husband, and he knows. He can hear it from a mile away because she coughs and hacks and her house reeks of smoke, even though she only smokes outside. Our clothes always smell like smoke when we leave, because you can't get smoke out of stuff.

So, they know.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:54 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• IDK..I,M IN SAME BOAT .
    KRIZZ25

Answer by KRIZZ25 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• OP - They don't know. I brush my teeth after every cig, and I use smelly lotion on myself after each too. And I smoke the same brand as my DH so they don't notice the butts.
    Anonymous