help with homework for child with learning disability

my daughter is 8yrs old and in 2nd grade. i need some advise on handling homework time, she cant sit still for very long, and has very short attention span, she has been tested for adhd, add, both test came back with a no. she was finally diagnosed last week with specific learning disability by a school pshychologist, after extensive testing. we fight about doing home work all the time.she says she cant do it. reading is very difficult for her she gets upset very easily, math is a problem as well. i even place a line graph for use. and she continues to refuse to try. i need help to better assist her with her problems and keep my sanity intact.

mommyofone802

Asked by mommyofone802 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We had a lot of poblems with my SS and homework. He is ADHD. Does she have a 504 or an IEP through school? If not get one. We put it in SS's 504 that if he was not done with his homework in one hour that we were to send a note and he was sent to the counselers at lunch. He went and ate lunch and then a teacher or counceler helped with the rest of his homework. They also cut back on the number of problems in math and how much he had to read so that it was doable for him. Homework should not be a horrible experience. Talk with the school and see what can be done to help you out. PM me if you have more questions.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 6:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I agree with Carajust. I have a son living with high functioning autism, and I so understand the frustration you and your daughter are feeling. We have him do homework in short sessions, and when he's getting frustrated, we just redirect him and let him take a short break and that seems to help him. Please see about the 504 or the IEP as soon as you possibly can for next year. Good luck,Hon!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 6:52 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• The school should be helping you with this if she has been diagnosed. They should get aides at school and extra time. Has your child been tested by a pediatric psychologist or psychiatrist? The school should be doing an IEP (individual education plan) and helping your child succeed without all the stress. They are supposed to be there to support you too. Ask questions of the teacher and find out how much actually needs to be done at home at this age especially.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:35 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• thanks everyone, we have just attended her iep meeting, she will attend class with a special teacher for the subjects she needs help with. i have tried doing homework for short sessions, and different times after school. i will talk to her teachers about what else to try, i had her in counseling for about 6 months after the adhd testing, and she was released, with saying she is a well adjusted child. i did not know about the sld at that time. thanks again ladies.
    mommyofone802

Answer by mommyofone802 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Write the school and request an IEP. The district has 60 days to comply. If she is diagnosed with SLD, I would definielty be getting an IEP intervention. In this IEP, request a smaller anount of homework that is more appropriate for her learning style. More does not always mean better.... How about in the classroom? Does she need her work load lowered here also? and IEP will help.
    tanya64

Answer by tanya64 at 9:10 PM on Nov. 29, 2009