My 14mo old son is Ill & taking Tamiflu but Im concerned....

My hubby is very Ill w/the flu & was in the hospital but been staying @ familys the past couple days to limit contact w/our 14mo old son & myself ( Im 5mos prego w/heart problems ). When he was seen in E.R they prescribed Tamiflu to me & my son as a precautionary measure b/c we are high risk, mine was denied but my son was approved & just yesterday started taking it @ 2ml once daily. He has been fine other than a little hack & slightly runny nose. Last night he awoke w/a fever of 102.5 & it wouldnt break, I called the E.R & he went in..they said it was viral & prescribed the Tamiflu again but twice daily now 4ml to treat rather than prevent flu. Im a wreck. Its difficult to get any answers &Im worried. IS Tamiflu generally safe? Is it safe if it turned out it wasnt a flu? the docs said there is a difference in doses, one is to prevent one is to treat, what if he didnt have the flu like his father is it okay? Thanks everyone.

whispers2005

Asked by whispers2005 at 6:50 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've been seeing a lot of people talking about Tamiflu, but I was told it wasn't being given anymore? I don't know how safe it is, take him off of it and doctor him the way you normally would till he gets better, especially if he doesn't even have the flu.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms

There's some interesting info on the FDA website if you just do a search for Tamiflu, e.g.:

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/EnforcementActivitiesbyFDA/WarningLettersandNoticeofViolationLetterstoPharmaceuticalCompanies/UCM166329.pdf

Here's another interesting document:

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/07/briefing/2007-4325b_02_15_Sponsor%20Background%20Package%20Roche.pdf

Answer by rkoloms at 10:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• We have always been advised not to take anti viral medication as a precaution. Personally i would take him off the drugs and see what happens, i would be worried about what the drugs are doing to his immune systems.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:31 PM on Nov. 29, 2009