ANY & all advice needed for my sick son PLEASE

I just posted in regards to him taking tamiflu but this is also the first time he has had a flu if thats what it is & hes my first baby & Im overwhelmed. He is generally still active but noticeably not feeling well. Im keeping him hydrated as best I can & making sure he eats good & is going potty. How often should I give Tylenol? when he is running fever? If he is warm but clammy what should I do? Keep him cool? I was told to let him sweat it out but I dont want to overheat him either, so light pajamas & socks? I want to make him comfortable as possible but Im running on empty, was @ the hospital all night & Im exhausted plus 5mos prego w/heart issues. I just want to make sure I do everything I can to help him get better & Im getting mixed advice from family & friends...he is warm, clammy, coughing, runny nose but has a appetite & is drinking pretty good. last night he took a bad turn suddenly & scared me! thanks again...

whispers2005

Asked by whispers2005 at 7:02 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First of all, take a deep breath and sit down. Breath quitely for a few minutes. If you son is running a temp, it means his body is fighting an infection (good!) How is his general demenor? Is he acting sick, or is he kinda like he normally is, active and having fun? Nights will always be harder than days...it just is.If his fever is above 100, you can alternate Tylenol with Motrin. Tylenol every 8 hours, motrin every 4. Keep him dressed in light jammies and socks, so he is comfortable, not hot. Let him eat what he wants, but make sure he is drinking 8 oz of fluid every couple of hours or so. Let his attitude guide you to how to treat him. If he is acting sick, let him lay around. If he is wanting to play, let him. But not to the point he gets exhausted.
    Call the doctor if the fever goes above 103 with Tylenol, if he doesn't give a good wet diaper in 8 hours or so, or if you generally feel he is getting worse.
    runningwithdogs

Answer by runningwithdogs at 7:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Call your doctor and ask all the questions you need to and have; the doctor is there to help you most are on call and have answering services after hours so call and tell the answering services that you are concerned about your son and need to know how to best take care of him; tell them you need the doctor to call asap. Good luck to you and hope your son starts feeling better.
    Anonymous

• Light PJ's and socks is good. You don't want to over heat him. It is good he IS drinking liquids to keep hydrated. NO vomiting? That's good! Just keep him covered with a sheet and blanket.

Then if he DOES get a fever, alternate every 4 hours between Tylenol and Motrin. IF he gets a higher then 102.0-103.0 fever, then give him a lukewarm bath, from head to toe in the tub to help bring it down. Dry him off good and get him snuggled back in PJ's and take his temp. 20 minutes later. But DO alternate every 4 hours with the Tylenol and Motrin.

You may want to try some type of medicine which can help with the runny nose and cough. Walgreens has a good off brand if price is a concern.

Good luck! Hope your little one gets to feeling better and you BOTH get some rest!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 7:15 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Call the on-call doctor or take him to an urgent care. He is on tamiflu, I am not sure what intereacts with what. I know that when my son was running a fever, I altered tylenol and motrin every 4-6 hours. Also, a lukewarm bath if the temp gets extremely high, lots of fluids, popsciles. My son's doctor suggested putting rubbing alcohol on the bottom of his feet to help the heat evaporate (never on his hands or face) but I was iffy about subjecting a then-young infant to harsh chemicals so I didn't do that. But honestly, if you are that worried, I would call the doctors and get their advice. Or the hospital he was recently seen at... especially if the tylenol-motrin isn't helping. Motrin works better for my little one, just fyi. You can also give them at the same time.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 9:12 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Ask the pharmacy or doctor if you can give him a dose of children benadryl to help with the runny nose? It might help him rest as well. If you decide to do this, make sure you have the accurate dose for age/weight.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 9:14 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• OP here~Thank you ladies sooo much for all your great advice/support! I already feel so much better just the comforting feeling of knowing your not alone & other mothers have been there done that! My sons demeanor overall I consider pretty normal, hes not lethargic or in-active, he is obviously not feeling well & a bit fussy/clingy & rubbing his eyes/face & laying his head down @ times like he is out of it but more so he is giggly/active & alert. He is pretty congested & his nose is running like crazy but its clear, he is coughing & sneezing & his temp will suddenly spike @ times ( thats when he goes from normal 2 out of it quickly ) but I put him in light jammies & socks, been giving him gatorade in his sippy cup & reg water, I made jello Im waiting for it to cool. I fed him soup & Im letting him snack @ his convenience just to keep him well nourished/hydrated. Im going 2 take some tips from each of you-thank you so much!!
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• OP again~ I forgot to mention my poor baby boy is also teething all his molars real bad, some are part way out & others are breaking so Im sure its not helping the way he feels but could it cause a high spike in fever as well?? A doctor told me No but I had my doubts? Plus this anti-viral med he is on maybe it could cause an issue? He was a lil runny & coughy before but yesterday after I gave him the first dose was when he started with the high fevers but who knows...probably just coincidence, the virus was most likely just getting going huh? I asked docs these questions but they seem to sort of beat around the bush w/answers....they were busy & overwhelmed I could tell but I thought my questions were pretty straight forward in regards to the safety of the meds & the possible causes of fever but no clear answers, it was not very reassuring. I feel better coming here for answers!! you ladies are awesome!
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 28, 2009