1st time C-Section...help

OK~ I'm officially freaked out. I've had 3 vaginal births but this time theres been some complications to lead me needing a C-Section. I know NOTHING about having a C-Section and I'm having my tubes tied at the same time so ANY advice would be great..... But I have a few questions, do they strap your arms down during the proceedure? I am soooooooooooo closterphobic so what about Oxygen masks? Anxiaty really peaks up when I think about my arms being tied down and not being able to do anything if they had to put an oxygen mask over my face!!!! Anyway, any useful information would be greatly appreciated!

angieluv

Asked by angieluv at 7:17 PM on Nov. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No arms tied down for me...just have to keep them still because of iv but i had mine free the entire time and no oxygen mask either.

It really wasn't that bad...just wierd/strange because you can't feel below you armpits but the upside to that is that you're not cold lol

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Hmm... well, I must ask... are you sure the section is necessary? Since you are this afraid, it would be best to avoid it if at all possible. If you don't mind my asking, what are the complications you're having? I can only think of a few that would require a section and those are placenta previa or a baby with severe anomalies.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:24 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• No arms tied down. I was numbed from the waist down, so it is sort of odd. They will numb you with an epidural. My hubby held me when they did that and it really helped. Then they start the iv and I was given a nasel canula, a tube on my nose to breath through. They will put a cover over you so you don't see any blood. The incision will be just above the pubic hair, which may or may not be shaved depending on your doctor's preference. I only felt a slight tug, it was really painless. They lay the baby on your stomach so you can see him or her. Then they stitch you up and take care of baby while you rest in the recovery room.
    The pain will come later so be very careful picking up baby, make sure they keep it managed while you are in the hospital and give you good meds when you come home. Get help for the first few days you will be tired. If you have any more questions you can pm me.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:28 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• Ati_13....
    its not something I WANT to avoid. Its perfectly normal to be scared about it being my 1st time. I have had problems delivering the placenta after each vaginal birth and had to have a DNC done. With this pregnancy I have whats called an Accessory Lobe. They wanted to do a Hysterectomy but they will only do one if its completly necessary when they have me opened up. The problem with the placenta is its attacting itself into my uterus and thats why all the placenta isnt delivered at the time of delivering the baby.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 9:01 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I just had my 2nd c-section and yes they tied my arms down both times you can try talking them out of it ... ? Just ask as many questions as you want they will tell you what's going to or could happen. You are right to be nervous and don't listen to women that think there's no good reason for anything but a vaginal good thing all those smarty pants women aren't doctors.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 9:49 PM on Nov. 28, 2009

• I think you need to talk to your doctor about your concerns. Inform them about your anxiety of the proceedure and ask them to spell out exactly what will be done not only during the c-section but also during recovery. I only mention that because they used pressure boots on my feet for half an hour to an hour and this may also cause some concern for you. Maybe there are things that they can change if they know of your anxiety. When I had my c-section they did strap my arms down and I did have Oxygen but it was the nasal cannula (the ones that go in the nose) and not a mask over nose & mouth.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 28, 2009